Help! My duck has a leg deformity! What's wrong and what can I do??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jen2314, Jul 20, 2015.

1. jen2314

jen2314 Hatching

Jul 20, 2015
    White Hall, Arkansas
    Help! My 3 day duckling is hobbling and seems to have a leg deformity! I've looked stuff up but am not sure what exactly it is. You can clearly see the bone is in the wrong place because you can see the white through the ducks skin. See pictures below please! Anything I can do to help?! Or should I put the duck down because of the poor quality of life?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. HeritageGoose13

HeritageGoose13 Songster

Apr 24, 2015
    Does the duckling seem to be in pain? If so then you should cull but otherwise wait a little bit, see if it becomes better or worse as he grows.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  4. jen2314

jen2314 Hatching

Jul 20, 2015
    White Hall, Arkansas
    Thanks for replying so quickly. @amiga I did look at that page previously and thought maybe it was a tendon issues so I did what the website said and no luck. The duck does not seem to be in pain. The leg flexibility is terrible and it is not able to straighten it due to the issue on the hock. Still unsure of what to do? We call him Tiny Tim. [​IMG]

DuckyDonna likes this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Not building up false hope here but pointing out that there are people who will adopt special needs ducks.

Buttercup ended up having surgery and a prosthetic leg and foot, and is doing quite well.

6. pdholbrook

pdholbrook Chirping

Sep 1, 2014
    Lexington, KY
    I'm wondering how Tiny Tim is doing? I have a duckling with what looks like an identical issue. I tried to move the tendon, but that doesn't seem to be it at all. Right now, it's adapting.

DuckyDonna likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: