Help my duck has very foggy eyes

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KendalJae, Oct 8, 2016.

1. KendalJae

KendalJae New Egg

Jul 7, 2016
    I have 4 ducks and a goose and I went to let them out the other morning and my Pekin duck wasn't opening her eyes. Then later that day my runner duck had the same thing. When they barely opened their eyes they were very foggy and goopy. I separated both of them from the other ducks. Today the Pekin won't even open her eyes and the runner does a little but her eyes are still very foggy. Besides the eye thing they are doing fine, eating, drinking, etc. Please help!!! Thanks in advance.

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Sounds like they probably have eye infections going on, so a vet visit would be best. But in the meantime, if you make up some saline solution and flush out their eyes really good at least twice a day, that should help. You can find many recipes for making saline solution online, it's pretty easy. Flushing the eyes and getting all that gunk out will do wonders to help. I'm sure there is probably some kind of eye ointment or medication you can pick up at local feed stores as well. I can't give any advice on that since we don't have that luxury here in Sweden, but others are always posting about medications you can get at feed stores in the US and UK without seeing a vet. I've also heard that adding apple cider vinegar to their water can also help, and making sure the water is deep enough for them to wash their whole face (including eyes of course).

Good luck! And get those eyes flushed out asap. ;)

3. KendalJae

KendalJae New Egg

Jul 7, 2016
    Thanks so much I will do that

4. Orca5094

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes with those two. :)

5. KendalJae

KendalJae New Egg

Jul 7, 2016
    The ducks seem to be doing a little bit better because my Pekin can now open both of her eyes but my runners feet have bubbles were her feet are webbed. What should I do about this.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Something is not right in their environment.

I don't want to sound harsh, but since we cannot be at your place, please tell us about their environment.

What is their bedding? How often is it cleaned out? How deep is the bedding? Is it wet all the time? Are they in a shelter that was used for something else before?

Foamy eye is an infection. Bubbles on their feet - do you mean bumbles? That is an infection.

Do they have swim water? What is the source? How often is it changed and the pan wiped out?

7. KendalJae

KendalJae New Egg

Jul 7, 2016
    Hello, I am pretty positive the foot thing is not bumbles but I don't know what it is, it is going away a little bit though. It is almost like the webs of her feet are peeling. There bedding is shavings and it is cleaned out pretty frequently, probably about 3 inches deep but I am not sure about that. There house is right by 2 good sized ponds with water flowing from a huge resivore right up the road. There house is a little shed that we lock them up in at night but besides that they are totally free range we live on a 14 acre property but they like just staying by their pond. The shed was almost like a loafing shed before and we put a wall on the front of it so before it just stored things. Thanks so much for your help.

8. KendalJae

KendalJae New Egg

Jul 7, 2016
    @Amiga

9. Orca5094

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Can you post pics of the feet?

Good to hear their eyes are a bit better, though. Are they still improving?

10. KendalJae

KendalJae New Egg

Jul 7, 2016
    Yes they are still improving, the eyes are much better still a little bit foggy but I got eye drops from a feed store and that should help. I will take pictures soon, thanks for helping.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by