help! my duck is gagging or trying to throw up...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sore Thumb Suburbanite, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Sore Thumb Suburbanite Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    orange county
    my indian runner is making this gagging, throwing up noise and motion with her bill opening, head bobbing, her heart rate is really fast and right now she should be sleeping like the rest of her duck friends. Also, her breathing seems really laborious and forced. i dont know what to do. Anybody have any ideas? do i watch her all night, massage her chest or neck?

2. KrazyKZ08

KrazyKZ08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Brevard, FL
    is it possible to try and get her to drink some water? she probably bit off more than she could swallow [​IMG]

3. Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Apr 26, 2011
    orange county
    I have, she won't voluntarily drink, I used a turkey baster to force a little water down her throat in hope to dislodge something, and sprayed some in her nostrils to see if it helped, but its like its internal, in her lungs or stomach. Ugh! I love this duck, she is the sweetest most easy to handle and I don't want her to die!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How is your duck this morning? I hope okay [​IMG]

5. TammyC

TammyC Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2011
    Oh No... I hope all went well overnight for your ducky..

6. Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Apr 26, 2011
    orange county
    I kept her in the tub overnight and had the bathroom dark, she seemed to calm way down and her breathing was much quieter. Is it possible for ducks to have asthma?
    I've monitored her for 2 days now and it appears she is fine, I haven't heard the gagging problem again, but I think its likely to happen more in the future since her breathing has never been like the other ducks.

It was really awful to see and hear her do that. I wish I could do something more than observe.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by