Help! My duck is having Seizures.

neetabeamie

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 26, 2014
Teton City Idaho
My duck is a two week old girl Cayouga. Today I had cleaned out my ducks brooder and was placing my Cayuga back in. She took two steps then fell over and went ridged.
Her eyes rolled back in her head and she started convulsing slightly. After about a min she came two. She was notably tired. Then after about another min she started ti get her spunk back. I put her back in the brooder and she ran around like usual.
I have no doubt this was a seazur. She is eating and drinking well. I am feeding her and my other five ducklings pureanas flock raiser. I am giving them grit and nutritional yeast on there food. (Nutritional yeast has more nican in it then brewers yeast ) I just add a pinch or two to there 1 1/2 cups food that I wet down a bit with water.
They have been at 80-85°. My other ducks are happy healthy and growing great.
I understand that this may be something she was born with and that's ok. What I need help with is, is there anything I can do to help her ?
What do you think?

Purina flock raiser contains enough niacin already for healthy ducklings... does she have a crest at all? I knkw crested can sometimes have neurological issues...

@Amiga what do you think? Are there issues with too much niacin??

I had a young duckling that would do this when it panicked. For example, when they were first learning to be herded in for the night. I never noticed if her eyes rolled back but she would just fall over. Scared the dickens out of me. She only did it a few times and then grew out of it.

Did you clean out the brooder with any type of chemicals? What are you using for bedding?

It is difficult to supply too much niacin by accident from what I read. She may have a problem she will grow out of. On another thread someone just was told by the vet the duckling has epilepsy. I am in the field now perhaps someone can find that..

Bacterial ataxia can cause neurological problems. Itcould be something mild but stress causes the effects to be magnified.

Thanks, Amiga... I just didn't know if that could cause an issue or not...

At the least, minimizing stress would help her... keep an eye out for her biting her tongue during any episodes and watch for swelling if she does, that could interfere with her breathing, eating, etc...

Update: from what I have observed, my duckling only has seazures when she is stressed. So I am going to try and limit any stress on her. Hopefully she grows out of it but if things get worse I'll try takeing her to a vet. Problem is I have no idea how to find an avian vet. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom