1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help!! My duck is injured, don't know what happened!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by michelle89, Jul 20, 2011.

1. michelle89

michelle89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    I was gone for 30 minutes this afternoon and left my two ducks in the backyard. I came home and my Pekin was out of the pool but my other duck was still in the pool acting very strange. I picked her up and she has no control of her neck there is 4 scratches on her beak. She has some fight left in her but her neck is wobbly, she wont drink or eat. I don't know what to do!! I'm thinking something grabbed her but why didn't it eat her? I'm confused!!

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Okay, she's probably very weak and maybe even in shock. You'll want to isolate her away from the others in a nice, quiet place. It's important you get some fluids in her. If you don't have electrolytes on hand to mix with the water, put some sugar in it (about 2 TB to a gallon). If she still doesn't take the water, drizzle it along the side of her beak with an eye dropper, and she should swallow it.

Can she physically move her neck? If she can, that's good, and the neck isn't broken.

Good luck with her, please keep us posted! [​IMG]

3. michelle89

Jan 11, 2011
    I was able to get her to drink some sugar water, she's standing up now but she acts like she's drunk! Thanks for the help, I didn't know what to do! Keep your fingers crossed that she pulls through, she is my favorite duck and she makes me laugh everyday! Will keep you posted![​IMG]

4. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Quote:That's good news. Perhaps she knocked her head trying to get away from something or got her beak caught.

I hope she pulls through for you! [​IMG]

5. michelle89

Jan 11, 2011
    Quote:I'm happy to report my duck is doing much better!! After an afternoon in a quiet part of the yard and lots of tlc from me I think she's going to be fine! I thought for sure I was going to lose her. As I type this she is back with her buddy duck safely locked up for the night. I don't want to go through that again, it was scary especially when you don't know what happened. Blue_Myst thanks for the advice I'm sure it helped! My bedroom window will be open tonight and my ears will be open as well! [​IMG]

6. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

great to hear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by