Help! My duck is not holding her head up!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jdsbanana, Nov 25, 2013.

1. jdsbanana

jdsbanana New Egg

Oct 5, 2013
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    So, yesterday I noticed my female duck wasn't stretching her neck out. It looks like her head is sitting right on top of her body. She is the one on the left in the picture. She walks around like this, and I haven't seen her eat, drink or get in the water. When I picked her up this morning, it felt like her neck had a kink in it, but I can't imagine it is broken, or she would be dead. When I gently stretched her neck, she didn't make any noise, but she would hold her head up. I fear something attacked her, but I don't know of any vets who can check her out. Any info would be helpful! Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That does not look normal, something has happened did you look under all the feathers up and down her neck at the skin to see if there are any wounds? could she have fallen on her head? not trying to be funny honest. or could one of the other ducks jumped on her head and maybe her neck is strained. what is your drake to duck ratio are they mating right now sometimes drakes can gang up on ducks and injure them. I think I'd put her where she can rest, not have to try and keep up with everyone, maybe bring her inside and put her in a luke warm tub of water[staying with her the whole time] to see how she acts does she wash and preen while in the water etc. Maybe put some poultry vitamins in her drinking water for support while you figure this out,. she may drink if you have her where you can give her only some TLC. and you offer it too her in her own bowl.

and [​IMG]

3. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Definitely agree with the post above. Check thoroughly under her feathers for any wounds that might not be obvious. Then get her in her own safe warm area where you can be sure she isn't bothered. You said it felt like her neck was kinked. Like the bones are misaligned or broken or maybe like there is a lump or knot there? I would be sure to check that area extra carefully for for any signs of injury.

4. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Agree with Miss Lydia. I think best thing you can do right now is get your duck isolated and give her a more thorough checking out. Post back with what you see and we'll try to help.

5. jdsbanana

jdsbanana New Egg

Oct 5, 2013
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Well, she is resting in my garden bath tub, she has drank some, ate some oats, but pretty still. She will stretch her neck a little. She doesn't complain like she is pain. She lets me feel her neck, but doesn't like me to stretch it out. I can't feel anything like a broken bone, but I don't know what a healthy duck neck feels like. That's what I feel most bad about here, I don't know anything about ducks, and I took four of them in, and now one is injured. She is trying to preen herself, but it's like she can't reach certain spots. I'll give her an hour and see if she improves. Thanks for the advice and encouragement!

6. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Will the others let you catch and hold them? If so you cold feel along their necks to get a better idea of what "normal" should feel like.

7. jdsbanana

jdsbanana New Egg

Oct 5, 2013
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    I usually don't hold them, so they run for their lives when I get too close, I think I caught her because she is under the weather. I'll try and see what I can do. Poor ducks, they probably think I've abducted their princess. There are three drakes and one duck.

8. Shikoba70

Shikoba70 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2013
    Oh dear , that is not a good ratio. Please do not put her back with the drakes. Your ratio should be the other way round- one drake to three ducks. When drakes mate they grab the ducks neck and head, she may well have been over mated by these boys - keep her seperate and either rehome some drakes or get more ducks !!

1 person likes this.
  9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would get her a separate place, comfortable temperature, clean water and good food. I would put poultry vitamins with electrolytes and probiotics in her water. I would let her swim inside in lukewarm water she can float in and look her over carefully, including taking a look at her vent for signs of bleeding.

It is very likely the drake situation, and I would not rule out some kind of infection.

10. jdsbanana

jdsbanana New Egg

Oct 5, 2013
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    So she is floating, and I have a place for her away from everyone outside. Do I leave her in my tub overnight or should I put her outside? I don't see any visible wounds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by