newbabyducks322

Chirping
May 31, 2016
California
The other day I let my ducks out in the tall grass, but my dog got out and jumped on one of my ducks. She now has an injured leg. She could walk fine the day it happened and could walk the day after, but since then it has been getting worse. I would put her in her pool to get some weight off of it, but now she doesn't want to be in the pool as much. She can't walk now (unless she really needs to, she can kinda move herself, but not very far) and I am worried. When I hold her she can move her legs fine, but I have noticed that when she "stands" she is stepping on one of her legs. Whats going on? Can she heal on her own? Does anyone know how to help? I am unable to afford a vet since I am just a college student.

The other day I let my ducks out in the tall grass, but my dog got out and jumped on one of my ducks. She now has an injured leg. She could walk fine the day it happened and could walk the day after, but since then it has been getting worse. I would put her in her pool to get some weight off of it, but now she doesn't want to be in the pool as much. She can't walk now (unless she really needs to, she can kinda move herself, but not very far) and I am worried. When I hold her she can move her legs fine, but I have noticed that when she "stands" she is stepping on one of her legs. Whats going on? Can she heal on her own? Does anyone know how to help? I am unable to afford a vet since I am just a college student.

A couple of pictures of the injured leg would help some but in the meantime, a couple of questions for more detail... is the leg swollen? Does it look "wrong"? Is there any discoloration anywhere in the leg/foot? Are both legs affected? Have you felt of the leg and hip to see about any dislocation? Is she eating and drinking? You said that when she stands she is stepping on one of her legs, is the injured leg the one being stepped on or is the injured leg doing the stepping onto the other leg? Is the injured leg rotated at all (like the foot is not pointing in the right direction)?

A couple of pictures of the injured leg would help some but in the meantime, a couple of questions for more detail... is the leg swollen? Does it look "wrong"? Is there any discoloration aTnywhere in the leg/foot? Are both legs affected? Have you felt of the leg and hip to see about any dislocation? Is she eating and drinking? You said that when she stands she is stepping on one of her legs, is the injured leg the one being stepped on or is the injured leg doing the stepping onto the other leg? Is the injured leg rotated at all (like the foot is not pointing in the right direction)?
I don't have any pictures right now, I'll need some help to get some and then I'll upload them. To answer your questions, the leg doesn't look swollen or discolored, I've tried to feel the hip and I haven't noticed anything. I think she is stepping on the injured leg and it is rotated inwards. When I try to feel for if anything is wrong she doesn't react so I don't know if that means ducks don't react to this sort of pain or if it isn't hurting.

If there is no obvious break in the leg shaft itself but there is rotation then you may be looking at either a ligament is displaced or possibly the hip is dislocated. Is the leg rotated constantly or only when she trying to walk or stand? When she lays down on her tummy, where is that leg? is it under her completely or does part of it stick out? Does it stick out behind her when she's laying down? I'm sure it'll be easier to help you with this once we can see some pictures. Also, I'm sure someone will be along with more ideas soon.

Pictures are not needed here...If her legs are swollen or broken she will need a Vet. We are not Vets and all a picture will do is show people her laying down....Too many time encouraging suffering happens and this is up to you because only you see the extent of her injuries...

If there is no obvious break in the leg shaft itself but there is rotation then you may be looking at either a ligament is displaced or possibly the hip is dislocated. Is the leg rotated constantly or only when she trying to walk or stand? When she lays down on her tummy, where is that leg? is it under her completely or does part of it stick out? Does it stick out behind her when she's laying down? I'm sure it'll be easier to help you with this once we can see some pictures. Also, I'm sure someone will be along with more ideas soon.
You can't see when shes sitting but I know one leg is more upfront. I don't know what to do, is there anything I can do to help or is a vet needed?

I understand not having funds to take your duckling to the vet. Most on here do.

The reason we mentioned pics and good pics where you can see the legs it may only be a bad sprain and time can heal. Can you put your duckling in some warm water and see if she can use the leg with pressure off of it?

Back
Top Bottom