Help! My duck was attacked by a Raven during her hysterical pregnancy

northernlivie

Songster
8 Years
Nov 17, 2013
Alberta, Canada
What do I do to help my duck with her beak. It is bleeding from being pecked at by a raven. Not too badly but some coagulated blood about an inch square. Thanks! (Or vet?)

The backstory. Okay so the situation is a bit weird but I have a cayuga cross duck who desperately wants to be a mother. I have no male ducks. She did the same thing last year in November. She leaves my fenced pond by somehow squeezing out and finds a secret hiding place in the woods on my property by the stream to make a nest. This last time she laid five eggs and has been diligently laying on them for a week. I thought maybe this time she may have fertilized eggs because we had a wild male mallard visit a week before she started disappearing. I just came home to check on her as I have been leaving her be and scared a raven that was at her. He damaged two eggs and had pecked her beak so it is bleeding. She was very upset so I attended to the three eggs left and took her into a pen area to be safe. I just checked the eggs and they are not fertilized. So yet another hysterical pregnancy for her. In November I found her inside a brush cave fully covered by a foot of snow sitting on 10 eggs! Should I get a male duck so she can be a mom? She is the only duck I have that is not silly and actually makes a nest. The others just lay an egg and waddle on or roll them into the pond. I have a paddle boat and golf ball retriever just to go egg hunting each day. Thanks!

Hi! First the bill. Clean it up, and put an antibiotic (without pain reliever) on it if it's bad.
Second, you can always try breaking her brood. Not sure how easy it will be. But, open bottomed cage to allow her underside to cool for several days.
You can let her hatch chicks too. I'm not recommending it though for one reason. A duck has too much humidity under her. The chicks are likely to drown in the shell.
Last option, give her babies at night.

20170601_193859.jpg

Two ducklings (male and female) raised their broodermates. They never took them swimming. In fact, the ducks never swam while brooding the chicks. The ducklings swam in the house, and after the chicks were grown.
IMG_9432.JPG
And a turkey hatched a duck last week.
IMG_1251.JPG

Clean it up realldy well and keep watch that it doesn't get infected. Oregano is natural antibiotic and immune booster if you can get her to eat it. Dandelions are excellent immune booster as well. Plantain is great for wound care and inflammation and You can make a tincture by boiling down some lemon balm or spearmint which are both antiseptic and antibacterials.

Hi! First the bill. Clean it up, and put an antibiotic (without pain reliever) on it if it's bad.
Second, you can always try breaking her brood. Not sure how easy it will be. But, open bottomed cage to allow her underside to cool for several days.
You can let her hatch chicks too. I'm not recommending it though for one reason. A duck has too much humidity under her. The chicks are likely to drown in the shell.
Last option, give her babies at night.
Thank you so much! I cleaned her bill and it looks sore. I will polysporin it and try to keep her quiet until it looks well enough that she can return to the pond.
Thank you for the brooding advice. I have been worrying constantly with her in the woods by herself. I will have to decide what to do. I sort of like that she nests a bit because when on the pond she will gather the other ladies' eggs into her nest too.

Clean it up realldy well and keep watch that it doesn't get infected. Oregano is natural antibiotic and immune booster if you can get her to eat it. Dandelions are excellent immune booster as well. Plantain is great for wound care and inflammation and You can make a tincture by boiling down some lemon balm or spearmint which are both antiseptic and antibacterials.
Thank you! Perfect my whole outer lawn is a bloom of dandilions right now. :)

Back
Top Bottom