Help! My duck won't eat!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by animallover94, Aug 10, 2011.

1. animallover94

animallover94 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    Beaverton
    I have a male mallard duck who is a little over a year old. He has been acting fine and healthy until the last few days, however. Lately he hasn't been eating anything. Every time I come out and check his dish it is completely untouched. I don't know what to do! Please help me!!

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Is it particularly hot there right now?? Do your ducks freerange for feed as well as being offered pellets?? I am thinking that is its particularly hot he may just not have much of an appetite and not wanting the pellets.

Other than that- a blockage of some kind in the throat, or parasites are other things that could be effecting his appetite.

3. animallover94

Jul 17, 2010
    Beaverton
    No, it hasn't been very hot here at all actually. The last few days it has been in the mid 70's. Mainly I just offer pellets because the area that he is in doesn't have much for him to forage for. If he did have a blockage or parasite, how would I tell?

4. animallover94

Jul 17, 2010
    Beaverton
    Also, I just remembered that a few days ago when I went out, this particular duck seemed to have eaten a slug. He had gobs of slime around his beak and he kept "chewing" and trying to get it down. I tried to remove any slime from his mouth and the slug if possible but I couldn't find it. Could this have something to do with it?

5. animallover94

Jul 17, 2010
    Beaverton
    I would REALLY appreciate some input here from anybody. I can't just sit here and let him starve. Please, ANYBODY, tell me what to do. I need help ASAP.

6. duck15

duck15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Philippines Makati
    did you try to put more water on its food?

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  8. animallover94

Jul 17, 2010
    Beaverton
    He is drinking so I guess I'll try the molasses. How much should I put in?

9. animallover94

Jul 17, 2010
    Beaverton
    I tried giving him the water with molasses in it last night and he drank some. Should I continue to put molasses in or will this be enough?

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by