help! my duckling has a chick starter crumble in it's nostril!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ducklover1243, May 16, 2011.

1. ducklover1243

ducklover1243 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    What should I do? The duckling is about 5 weeks old, and the piece is very small. It is eating and drinking normally, and there is no discharge, but it seems to be very stuck because I put them in the bathtub so she could try to get it out, but it wouldn't go? Should I carefully wedge it out with tweezers? any suggestions? help!!!!!!

2. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Use your best judgment. Wrap her in a towel and keep her secure, then very gently try to pry it free. If it does not come easily I would wait. No need to panic if she can go about her buisness regularly.

Emily

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would give more opportunity for it to come out with bath or something she can dunk her bill in on her own.

If it's crumbles, it should dissolve pretty easily, really.

I think the risk might be a little higher with trying to force it out right now. At most, I'd use a warm moist towel and wipe the nares very gently to see if it might come out. I would not stick anything in the nares.

4. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    Give her a deep water bowl with a small opening so only her head can go in and perhaps a good long bath in warm water- she should work it out. The water should make the crumble mush. You might try dipping her nose in water, then taking a wet papertowel and washing her face off.

5. ducklover1243

Apr 12, 2011
    thank you I will try that![​IMG]

6. ducklover1243

Apr 12, 2011
    I'm not sure if it worked! I hope it did, but i just noticed that all four of the ducklings sound wheezy:/! Iv'e noticed it especially on the small one since they arrived, but they're five weeks old now and fine! Are they ok? I just let them swim in the bath tub about an hour ago but they sounded wheezy before that too! (and im not sure but i think the little may jave gotten out the crumble out of its nare in the bathtub) help me ![​IMG] thanks

7. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    My ducklings sometimes sound wheezy after a long bath, but in a few hours it usually goes away. As long as they are eating good, warm and active they should be fine. Just keep an eye on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by