Help !! My ducks making the choking noise

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jendarwin, Mar 11, 2017.

1. jendarwin

jendarwin Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2016
    From yesterday iv been noticing.. he tries to vomit out something but he swallows back the same time.. it happened in the afternoon and today again he's been making those choking sound .. but he's acting normal.. playing eating n pooping.. is it something I should worry about?

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Try giving him some watermelon or tomato cut up and put into a bowl of water.....Usually that helps dislodge what's stuck in his throat...You can also massage the neck ....Usually the fruit in water will help...Also cucumber diced in water helps......

Best wishes.....

Cheers!

3. jendarwin

Dec 24, 2016
    He is better now.. but begins coughing suddenly

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @jendarwin does you duckling have a bowl of water deep enough to wash out his nares and get a good drink from?

5. jendarwin

Dec 24, 2016
    Yes he's got plenty of fresh water to drink and clean himself up.. but I'm not able to understand why he keeps chocking often.. he wants to puke but holds it back..

6. Kabootles

Kabootles New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    Saint Augustine, FL
    How old is he and could it be his mating ritual. I'm a new duck mom and thought my male was choking, sounding almost like a donkey then realized it's part of his mating. Anyway hope your duck is alright.

7. jendarwin

Dec 24, 2016
    may be he seems to be ok now.. they get me worried so much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by