HELP MY DUCKS PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ducks-love-me, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Ducks-love-me

Ducks-love-me Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2013
    My 6 ducks were stranded. They were found on our lake and they were half starved. They apparently were the people who lived behind our houses ducks! They are terrible owners. The fact that the ducks ran away proves it enough. They know we have the ducks now (we didn't know they were theirs until today) they might take them back :( idk how to save them they will take away my ducks! They are amazing pets. I don't want them to go back. they flew away so obviously they don't even have a covered house away from predators and they live in a WOODS!!! Help!

2. mothergooz

mothergooz Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2013
    Vernon Hills, IL
    I'd take the ducks to a secluded location where no one can find them and I'd call the police to report animal abuse. I'd feed them some cracked corn immediately, they love it.

No bones about it. Call the cops!

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    This is a tough one . . . You have been providing for them for a number of weeks now, right? I wonder if there is an animal control officer who can help with these matters. If they simply want you to give the ducks back, how would they prove that these are in fact their ducks? If they only now showed up, that may not indicate they were paying much attention.

I have not had to deal with this kind of thing. Very upsetting. Seems you ought to be able to show that you have been providing for them, unlike the former owners. How did they approach you?

I would not be in a hurry to turn the ducks over.

4. Ducks-love-me

Nov 30, 2013
    Well Amiga the ducks were by our lake since summer. We then saw they stayed by the lake over winter. When they weren't flying south we took care of them because nobody was taking care of them. they by no means would come up to us. We had to lure them in with bread (we didn't know at the time it's effects) when I got them I immediately researched them and they then had a good home. the next day they had food and were cared for. They were not comftorble with humans but I have trained them and they come right up to me. If I did give it to an officer would they kill it or what would they do with my babies? Would they let us keep them?

5. Ducks-love-me

Nov 30, 2013
    My mom probably not let me call the cops :( I will tell you what happens tomorrow when we call :/ I hope they are okay. my mom said if they are their ducks then that's who we will give them to!!! Happy New Years everyone

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] maybe if you asked nicely they would let you keep them, same thing happened here the woman who lived across the river from me had Muscovy's they were getting picked off one by one so she let them out and they went to the river, she wasn't feeding them so I befriended them, one day I saw her at a store and we talked about the ducks, I said they are at the river come get them if you want them back, she didn't want them so they became mine, I still have one he will be 10yrs old this spring. sure wouldn't hurt to ask if they would let you keep them, that you'll take good care of them and have fallen in love with them,[of course this is all with mom's approval] Have they already taken them back?

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    This is a sticky situation. My heart is breaking because I know how much you love them. Perhaps, like Miss Lydia said, you and your folks can simply tell these people your story, and how attached and responsible you are. I can send prayers, I wish I were not so ignorant of how the laws work in your area. I would not turn them over to an agency if I could help it - they are probably overwhelmed, and it's not like the ducks have no home. You have demonstrated that.

8. Ducks-love-me

Nov 30, 2013
    Thanks for the prayers Amiga! I hope we can keep them. I think they just want the ducks for their eggs not to take good care of them as pets. Which is okay but they should feed them more often. I will tell them hw hat happened and maybe if we offer them some eggs they will let us keep them!!! :barnie why do some people need to be du,b? #dumbneighbors

9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It crossed my mind that they may want something, though I don't want to suggest anything unkind about people I do not know. But in the past, sometimes people have wanted money or something. Offering them eggs is a really good idea. You can take care of the ducks,which they seemed unable to do very well, and they can get some eggs - eggs they would not get if the ducks were killed or sick.

10. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Amiga's right. Offer to care for the ducks and provide them with eggs during the laying season. That certainly is a win/win for them!! Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by