1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP MY EASTER EGGER IS EATING MOST OF THE EGGS IN THE NEST BOX

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickegirl, Mar 23, 2013.

1. chickegirl

chickegirl Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2012
    central kentucky
    O my goodness my easter egger hen won't stop eating the eggs in the nest box what can I do with out killing her

2. amberdawn281

amberdawn281 New Egg

Oct 2, 2012
    Loomis
    We had the same problem with our hens. They would lay and another hen would come up and eat the egg or she would herself. We tried everything, putting golf balls in the nest, making sure it was dark enough in the nest boxes. We thought we were going to have to kill them all and start fresh.

With the way our coop is the nesting boxes were flat and built to where they were, well a box. I researched ways to change up the nesting box. We made a roll away nesting box. the floor where they lay is on a slight angle and it rolls down away and far enough from where they can't peck them or reach the egg.

there are tons of videos on youtube to where you can see how other built their roll away boxes.

Good Luck!

3. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Could she need more protein and/or calcium? That's what she'd be getting by eating eggs. I'd try upping both in her diet and see if that helps.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by