Help my egg cracked

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by christinafaught, Mar 18, 2018.

1. christinafaught

christinafaught Chirping

Aug 18, 2016
    My hen is sitting on eggs today is day 4 I checked them and one is cracked and a piece of shell is missing I can see the baby inside and membrane is in tacked I can see veins are also good what should I do I transferred it to my incubator but I wasnt it to grow and live

2. Pigpie

Pigpie Songster

Mar 2, 2018
    Can you post a picture?

christinafaught likes this.
  3. christinafaught

christinafaught Chirping

Aug 18, 2016
    20180318_114719.jpg

4. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Clean the space around it with diluted rubbing alcohol and cover it (EDT: the hole and the space you just cleaned. By cleaning the shell, you remove some of the blume, so that area of shell isn't as well-protected). There are a few different methods of covering holes.

Some people melt wax and put that and a piece of clean paper over the hole. Some people use scotch tape, though I don't know how well that would work. I'd use masking or electric, personally.

And good luck!

5. Pigpie

Pigpie Songster

Mar 2, 2018
    Good luck keep us posted on how you covered it and if the baby chick makes it through!

6. jvls1942

jvls1942 Free Ranging

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    at this point, blume is not a factor. the shell is gone..
    maybe try covering the hole with seran wrap shrink wrap ?
    scotch tape or clear packaging tape ?

or dilute Elmers white school glue with water and paint the area with it. add a few coats as the first ones dry..
    this is what I would do..
    .......jiminwisc....

7. sylviethecochin

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Yes, but there may be bacteria on the remaining shell, so you want to clean the exposed membrane and any possible micro-cracks around the hole before you seal stuff into it. That'll remove the blume around the hole though, which is my reasoning for covering everything you just cleaned.

Sorry that that wasn't clear in the original post.

8. christinafaught

christinafaught Chirping

Aug 18, 2016
    Will it harm the baby like soak into the membrane

9. christinafaught

christinafaught Chirping

Aug 18, 2016
    What is a blume I haven't heard of that yet

10. sylviethecochin

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Blume is a protective, bacteria-resistant covering that coats the egg right before it's laid. It's clear, and because backyard eggs are coated in it, you can leave them on your counter instead of refrigerating them as you would refrigerate store-bought eggs.

Hatching eggs are very prone to bacterial infection if they're washed, and washing them might cause you to find chicks dead in the shell before they can hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: