Help. My eggs aren’t hatching!

ayamEC

Chirping
Mar 22, 2018
Sorry, all the newbie questions.
I have an incubator full of eggs and only one has hatched. It’s day 22. The eggs keep rolling and one piped yesterday about noon. Is this normal?

The chick that did hatch is in the brooder with a week old chick my silkie rejected. The chick is super happy and loves sleeping with the week old chick.

Sorry, all the newbie questions.
I have an incubator full of eggs and only one has hatched. It’s day 22. The eggs keep rolling and one piped yesterday about noon. Is this normal?

The chick that did hatch is in the brooder with a week old chick my silkie rejected. The chick is super happy and loves sleeping with the week old chick.
Are you using just the incubator settings or do you have another thermometer/hygrometer inside. I find the styrofoam incubators accuracy hard to regulate. A lot of factors to consider. Did you let it run several hours first without eggs?

I have a plastic incubator, i can’t rember what it’s called. I let it run for 3 hours before adding the eggs. I hatched 4 chicks out of it last month. I had a thermometer in it for the first week like I did last time. I have done everything the same as last time, except I took out the first chick and put it with my week old Dark Cornish, Griffin. Griffin was alone for a day because my silkie rejected her. I had been told that I can’t leave a chick by itself for long and when the first chick dried I took her out because there was no more pips.

About an hour after I took the first chick out an egg piped. (And hasn’t done anything since) If I tap the incubator I can hear peeping and 3 of the eggs roll around a bit. We went out of town and the house sitter might have messed with the incubator. I can’t think of any other reasons why the eggs aren’t hatching.

If you have condensation, your hygrometer must be off. Wondering if your temp is off as well. Often, in a typical hatch, there will be one chick that will hatch a day early, most will hatch on time, and there may be one or two laggers. You absolutely can't trust a hygrometer or thermometer unless they have been calibrated. And, you must keep track of both temp and humidity in a bator. Relying on the thermostat without monitoring the heat level is a recipe for disaster.

Does your bator have a fan? With the last hatch, how many total eggs did you set, how many made it to lock down, what day did they hatch? What was your hatching percent rate? Any health issues with those chicks?

My incubator has a fan. We put in 9 eggs, one was dropped and broke, 4 weren’t fertile and the 4 that made it to lock down all hatched on day 21 exactly. The only problem was that one chick fell while being held when the brooder was cleaned and died the next day.
I checked that the thermometer in the incubator was calibrated correctly, and I don’t know how to find the humidity, my brother just said around 75%. But yes I can see some water droplets on the side.

I guess they just want to hatch on Easter or something. One more chick piped and started unzipping. I saw a little blood and it has stopped but keeps making noise. I’m guessing they are just taking a while longer to absorb the yolk and veins.

Back
Top Bottom