Help! My eggs arrive today and my broody has stopped being so broody!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mrs Clutterbuck, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Mrs Clutterbuck

Mrs Clutterbuck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I noticed my broody hen had scaley leg mites. It was hard to get a look before because she was so broody, pecking at us when wee tried to touch her- the protective type.
    Worried she would pass it to her chicks in the future I thought it best to treat her:
    • I cleaned out her makeshift broody house (a contractable tractor put together with scrap)
    • I treated the area with diatamaceous earth, put down new bedding and sprayed orange peel vinegar on the wood.
    • I rubbed vicks on her legs twice now in 2 days and dipped them in olive oil.
    She was off the nest when I got up this morning so I chose that time to clean etc, I've put her back and she won't settle back down. I've reduced the area she has for scratching in the hope she will go back on, if you have any advice I would be so appreciative. Is this anything I should be worried about?
    I have 10 pedigree eggs of different varieties arriving today.

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Here is what I did, not because I didn't have broodies, but because it is too cold. You can hatch out yours and put them under her later at night. and you can make one of these, and get a real hatcher later if you want.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    8''x9'', box, 15w light, metal bowl not for water but for fire safety plus heat shield on lamp. I hung a homemade basket to the upper part of the box, poked some holes I dry hatched the first part, could still feel moisture from eggs. They are now in lock down. I had temps about 99' and dropped in the morning room getting colder 70' most of the time, but I would advise 101 for a still air box.I poke more holes or raise lit to adjust heat. I have a little window on top to check temp. holds heat pretty well. I Did have a bigger home made bator out of old copier box, 50w light but I figured I didn't need it that big, because I didn't have that many eggs.
    here's the chicks that hatched from copier box:
    2/20/13

[​IMG]
    good luck with what ever you do.

[​IMG]

3. Mrs Clutterbuck

Aug 25, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Wow that is incredibly resourceful! Thanks, for the idea [​IMG] I'm still hoping my broody will somewhow regain her broodiness! It is very warm here in NZ at the moment so it may be an option if all else fails.

4. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    It is still air so temp should be 101 if you do this.I am on day 20 starting at 4:00 today. they are acting like it is day 19 because I temp- them at 99/100.

5. Mrs Clutterbuck

Aug 25, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    So how did your hatch go? Any chicks? I made one in the end too. Another member said from my broody pic my hen might not have been comfortable with 10 eggs. So I gave her 6, took 4 and instead of throwing them away I'll give this incubator a go. Thanks for the idea!

6. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I still see movement in the eggs. I was incubating I thought a broody might stimulate the eggs to hatch. she was not too interested, but I see one chick in air cell so hopefully sat. but I did buy 6 chicks from the feed to keep me busy while I wait. 2 turkens, 2 banty cochins, aRIR and a black star.
    -[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by