HELP!!! MY EGGS WON'T HATCH!!!!

Sparkypatriot15

Songster
7 Years
Jul 13, 2012
Hi this was my first time incubating eggs- I incubated 14 eggs in a homemade incubator. I candled them and narrowed the eggs down to 8 developed, fertilized eggs. Ive kept my incubator temp at 99-100 (with some minor fluctuations) and the humidity between 40-50. The eggs have gone into lockdown and the temp is at a steady 99 and humidity is at 60-65. It's now day 21 and I haven't gotten a single pip- its really starting to confuse me and worry me a lot. I sleep by the incubator every night so that I would wake up if an egg pips, but not a single one has. I've candled then and they take up the entire egg except for the air sac. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

still air or circulated air?

As I recall that might have been about a degree or two, too low and can cause a late hatch.

Also how did you 'count days'

May day one is after the first 24 ours, may day two is after the first 48 hours...

It's a still-air incubator. I've counted the days. One egg started peeping this morning, but it can't seem to get a hole in the shell- only loosen it.shes got a dent int the shell and has been working on it for 4 hours or more. She still peeps but not very often- she never peeped often for that matter. Is she ok? Should I try to help her? And none of the other eggs have pipped yet:/

Well, I decided to wait, and she's doin great now- she's pipping like nobody's business and is already beginning to unzip her egg. She's an ararucana, but from what I can see, she looks different than I expected. Oh well, seeing this is a wonderful gift from nature. I saved her and her siblings from day-old eggs from a local market before they were cooled and turned into someone's omlet, and stuck them in the incubator. Shes the only one hatching right now, but I'm hoping the others are on the way. I thought I heard some scratching noises like the ones I heard with her before she pipped :lol:

My chick is zipping, but she seems to be getting tired. She is making progress, however, but slowly and she takes a few secs to rest before she makes each attempt. Is this normal?

Chick#1 and chick #2 hatched today- but strangely both have "belly buttons" like little plug-like things on their undersides where their belly button scar should be. What took chick #1 over 13 hours to do, took chick #2 3 hours... I think he skipped the air sac and went straight for the shell. Both are energetic balls of fluff that peep a lot and love to sleep by the light. The araucana is black with a white/gold underbelly and wingtips and little puffs under her eyes, and chick#2(the maran) is black with a white/gold underbelly, wingtips, blazes around his eyes, and fluffy legs. I just hope they both make it!

Your chicks sound beautiful! Take a picture of them when you can, would love to see them.
clap.gif

Alright- ill take a pic of these 2 when they're fluffed out- been up all night watching them. I just hope the other 4 hatch! And it's already day 23!

Back
Top Bottom