Help ! My Emu is laying eggs now in Montana

sseabass

Songster
6 Years
Jun 28, 2016
Fishtail, Montana
Edwina is laying eggs now and it is freezing outside. She is free range but tame. She stated laying outside by a calling shed. We tried to tempt her to go inside but that didn’t work so we closed them, her and her two boyfriends Aleth and Clyde, in the corral next to the barn that they usually sleep in at night with our other critters.

We are so excited. She started laying again. I have been trying to figure out how to keep the eggs from freezing. I can t be sure but it seems that Ayleth sits on them when Edwina isn’t laying but I haven’t made anyone get off the nest when they are on it. We did see two eggs before they seemed to kind of star

Oops!
Seems they are starting to set or take turns keeping them warm between new eggs being laid. Will that cause the eggs to begin developing. I’m pretty sure they are either taking turns or one of the boys has decided to stat setting?

Edwina is at least 10 yrs old. She was given to me years ago, so her age is an estimate. Ayleth and Clyde are coming 3. I got them as 3 month old babies.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge about how to keep the eggs from freezing other than taking the eggs inside. If I take them now, can I put them back later when there are enough to crest a clutch? How long can I keep them inside and still have them be fertile? That is unless the boys have decided its time to set now on the two?

There really isn't a way to keep eggs from freezing in cold temperatures except to bring them inside. If one of the males starts to sit full time, they will begin to develop, for sure. The danger comes if one sits for a while, then gets up. If the development in the egg starts, then the male gets up and the eggs cool back down, the embryos inside could die.

You may want to gather them up and bring them inside until you have a decent clutch size, and only then put them out for the males to sit on.

Of course if one has already started sitting, then he'll be keeping the eggs from freezing, but he will also be creating a staggered hatch situation in which all the newest eggs laid are behind the first ones, and since females lay every three days, there'd be quite a significant gap between when each egg is due, and once the first chicks are hatched and need to eat and drink, he'll get up and abandon the rest of the eggs.

You can tell if a male emu has committed to sitting because he just won't get off the nest, ever, until the eggs hatch. Not to eat or to drink, and they don't even pass waste during this time.

Thanks. You helped so much.
So, how many days can I collect eggs and how do I keep them so they stay viable?
I’m not sure exactly what is going on. We now have 3 eggs so I know Edwina is at least sitting i the nest long enough to lay eggs. I’m not sure if one of the males cover them when she leaves or what is going on. Every time anyone goes into the barn there is someone setting?
The biggest challenge I think I have is figuring out who is on the nest. I can ID them by their feet but they either stand in deep straw inside barn or some snow when they go outside. Maybe I can try shoveling out an area in the corral so I can see their toes.
I was able to feel under the Emu setting yesterday and felt 3 eggs and he/she actually stood up while I was checking.
Edwina chose a spot in the middle of the barn towards the back end. The only problem is that we need the barn when we shear our sheep and that is in less than 2 months.

When he/she stood up I moved the eggs and as much straw as I could over a foot. We are thinking we could build a little alcove in the corner once whoever really starts to set. So I decided to try and move the nest gradually.
Our weather has turned warm for awhile so I feel good about the eggs right now. I am going to mark t he three we have so far so I can tell the difference if we have more.
Do you know how many the female usually lay?
This is all very exciting and challenging. This is our first and we never really thought she would lay. I did see them mating this Fall. I’m not sure how it all works. That seems like a huge gap between mating and laying. They could be mating more and we just don’t see it since they aren’t out and about as much.
Sorry this is so long. I haven’t really had anyone to ask all of these questions. My final request Do you know of any good books on Emus?
Thanks for reading.

Emu eggs stay viable for quite some time, since the female has to lay a whole clutch before the male can start to sit, and it takes three days for each egg. A normal clutch for a male in the wild is usually about nine or ten eggs, so the eggs are usually viable for up to a month to compensate for that.

Females can lay up to 40-50 eggs in a season, if the eggs are removed as she lays them. Otherwise, she may lay fewer, since the male will start sitting as soon as he feels he has a good clutch going.

A really great book, if you can get it, is The Emu Farmer's Handbook. It has just about everything you would want to know in there. It was written a long time ago, so some of the info is a bit outdated, but it's pretty obvious when that's the case (like it says you should fumigate the incubator with formaldehyde, lol) and most of the info is really good.

5EF37CB4-27B1-4487-9A61-D43ADFF97D60.jpeg

Thanks for your reply. Here is Edwina in the barn with her 4 eggs. I’ve marked these so I will know the new ones.
I still haven’t figured out who is setting and who is laying.
I mean I know Edwina is laying but not sure if she is the one setting on them too?
I’m going to get some spray paint that is for sheep wool to mark them since I can’t see their feet very well.
Edwina laying is very exciting but also creating a lot of angst because of the cold and and someone setting. I may start collecting any new eggs she lays.
I’m going to try and find the book you suggested.
I’ll keep you posted on Edwina and her eggs.

I hope I'm not hijacking this post, but our emu laid her first egg last night in Michigan. Our current outside temp is 3.7 degrees (-30 with wind chill, but she laid it in her stall in the barn)! We brought the egg in the house as instructed in a previous post, and will continue to gather them as she lays, but where should we keep them? Our inside temp is 68 degrees, is that too warm? At what point, temp-wise, could we safely put them back outside? Thanks so much in advance!

Back
Top Bottom