1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! MY ENTIRE FLOCK STOPPED LAYING!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bboyd1, Aug 7, 2013.

1. bboyd1

bboyd1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    To the Right of Nowhere
    UHG! Im so annoyed![​IMG] I have a flock of 10 hens and 2 roos. I have one of those hens sitting on about 9 eggs that are due in 5 days, and the rest of the flock stopped laying! 6 of them had just started laying again after going through molt when the one (Mamma Fluffy Butt) went broody, I separated them out of their temporary free range area (25ftx100ft) and into the chicken run because they kept tryng to add to her eggs and we haven't finished out fencing to keep the neighbor dogs from chasing them. They used to just roam the entire yard but its not safe till we get all the chainlink up. They stopped laying for a day, then picked right back up. Now we have had days and days of rain, flash flooding, and they stopped layng all together. Its been a week now since I've gotten even one egg, and these girls are once a day layers usually, the oldest ones are only a year and a half so it shouldn't be age. I had to turn them loose again in the temp area which again is the same area my broody is (separate shelter from the run) because of the mudd mess in their run. They are on layer feed. I know a lack of sunlight will effect them, but I've never seen this happen just from a chain of storms! Is the broody effecting the flock? I did have to break her "sister" (Auntie Fluffy Butt-who is NOT allowed to hatch since she tends to break alot of eggs) from going broody since she tried to also, but can't figure why the others stopped laying! Bad weather combined with low sunlight plus a broody controlling the nest they like to use best???? Anyone know if or when I should expect to see them back to normal?!

2. Rich386

Rich386 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    Your brooding hen has nothing to do with it. When they are startled or have a change to their routine they often stop. Not to worry it is just a chicken thing.

3. bboyd1

bboyd1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    To the Right of Nowhere
    I was just surprised and annoyed they stopped laying after they had already started back up after being moved into the smaller space&shelter. Although all those storms back to back for days (with high wind making lots of noise as well as lots of thunder) maybe it was enough to freak them out. Hoping they get back to laying now that they have the larger shelter and a grassy area that has more drainage for the water. Maybe they will feel safer. blah..... Stinks because I have a lady that buys a dozen eggs every 2 weeks and I have nothing for her right now. Plus it means my chicks will be welcomed into the entire flock at birth and I honestly don't know if they will survive. Mamma Fluffy Butt has always been our queen of the roost, but I don't know if she will get her place back when she leaves the nest... [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Are you seeing feathers everywhere? They are at the age to go through their first molt, which is triggered by shorter daylight hours. They cannot lay eggs while molting because all their protein stores go to growing their feathers back in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by