Help! My Fav. Chicken Is Hurt!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LindseyM12, Nov 9, 2010.

1. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hi all, My poor hen is hurt :'( My rooster for some reason doesn't like her and he spurred her in the side. I put blue-kote on it and it was doing fine and I went to go look at it today and the scab is off and its bleeding. [​IMG] The wound is right behind her leg and when there is nothing on it its yellow. PLZ help! Thanks!

2. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    You will need to flush it real good with water... then clean it with peroxide or alcohol. I would then treat with neosporin and keep her in the house or seperated for a couple days. Let some healing happen... cleaning gently and reapplying the neosporin.

Then after a couple days... see how she is. She may have an infection starting.

D

3. LindseyM12

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thx! I have her sort of separated... She is away from the other chickens but she is only separated by fence. I'm afraid that being anywhere near them will get it infected...

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    In my experience, often this is a result of a roo liking a hen too much- it's generally a slice down the side from his nails, not usually the spur- though that's a good assumption.

As the hen is standing on her, the feet slip, and it can cause this tear- it will fill in if you give her time away from him and keep it clean.
    [​IMG]

5. LindseyM12

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    My rooster that did this to her, HATES her. Mae, (the hen who is hurt) always wants to be the highest in the pecking order and when I got the rooster, she tried to beat him up and it didn't work and now the rooster hates her. So every time he gets near her he beats her up. He doesnt try and "do his thing" to her. He just... beats her up. A day before this happened I was gonna give her a break and put her in my chicken tractor but it had birds in it already. So I was gonna move them out the next day but it was to late.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Best to remove the bully for several days whenever possible. This puts them at the bottom of the pecking order when you put him or her back. Sounds like these two are rivals, like she is challenging him for the dominant role. Hope separating works for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by