Help - my favorelle is losing her comb!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HeidiG, Jul 17, 2010.

1. HeidiG

HeidiG Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Hampton, VA
    Yesterday one of my favorelle pullets had black spots on her comb. They kind of looked like dried blood, and they are definitely not pox. She didn't seem upset, and the other pullets weren't bothering her. I picked her up to look at it, and it looked like it had been torn a bit. My cockrel has been harrassing them, so I figured he might have injured it.

This morning when I let them out it looked the same. She seemed to be fine, except for the bad looking comb. I picked her up and put some neosporin on it so it wouldn't get infected and then let her go.

So, I just went out to check on her and her comb is falling off!! I haven't seen anyone pecking at her, but it's just hanging off. What do I do?

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I don't think you can do anything to save it, but it might be better to quickly snip it off, so that it starts to heal, instead of being like a hang nail.

I had two chicken get terrible red scabs on the side other head, near the ear patch. Turns out they stuch their head out of the chicken wire, and cut it trying to pull their head back in. It healed up and I think the comb will heal up too, and you won't be able to tell. mk

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I'm in agreement with Mrs. K- snip it off and let the site heal up. Combs are a nuisance and of no use which is why they are sometimes dubbed (fancy way of saying chopped off). Your bird will heal up just fine and be better off without it if she keeps getting injuries there. Hold her tightly in your lap with a towel wrapped snugly around her body, clean the area with betadine tea (1 part betadine to 10 parts water) and use a sharp pair of shears to just snip it off. Use either a clotting agent or flour or corn starch to staunch the bleeding. Once the bleeding stops keep the area covered in either plain Neosporin (no -caine ingredients) or Blukote. Don't think too hard about what you have to do or you will lose your nerve. Just do it quickly and it will be over before you know it. Chickens are tough animals. It will be worse for you than for her.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by