HELP my favorite sebright jut died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silkielove, Dec 5, 2013.

1. silkielove

silkielove New Egg

Jul 23, 2011
    The other day I came home from school an my dad told me that my rooster (who is still under a year old) had been limping and couldn't walk... I took him inside and gave him a warm bath food,special treatment and wrapped up his leg thinking that he just hurt it. That night when he was all dry I put him back in the coop with all my other chickens. ( I live in Oregon so the temp has been going down and has been really cold during the night) the next day he died and I am just devistated I can't get over the fact that he is gone!! I think he had Mercks disease.... But all I really want to know is what he died from? And if it will effect my other chickens?
    Please help :(

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    You can get his body tested for mareks disease. If it was mareks it does NOT mean your other chickens will get ill although some may. But it DOES mean your other chickens that were exposed all though not symptomatic are carriers now and CAN infect other birds. This is called being a carrier. If your other
    birds were around the one with Mareks now the can infect other birds although they don't have any symptoms themselves . Mareks is a highly c contagious air borne disease. It can travel miles in the wind. I highly suggest you get the bird tested to know for certain its mareks. I'm so sorry for your loss and wish you the best

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by