Help, my first broody, and her eggs are starting to hatch today!

Cowgirl212

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 19, 2013
Northwest Missouri
My black orpington decided to go broody exactly 21 days ago today, She started sitting on 1 lonely egg so of course I added a few others under her.
smile.png

The first egg is starting to hatch!
I have never had a broody hatch eggs. I am wondering if I should put medicated chick feed out, because I want to protect my chicks. Will the medicated feed hurt my adult chicks or ducks? (I've heard ducks shouldn't have medicated feed) If medicated feed isn't the way to go, then what are some other recommendations to protect my chicks?

As of right now I am planning on keeping the chicks with mom, and the few other chickens and 2 ducks that are in the pen along w/ them. I think mom will do best keeping the chicks, and I just enjoy seeing a mother do her thing! But if I have to separate I will. Anyone have any advise on raising chicks with their moms? Most all the info I see is on hatching chicks w/ an incubator and raising them separate.
Thanks!

How are things going, do you have chicks yet?
I would skip medicated feed (especially since you have ducks) and feed everyone gamebird or an all flock feed with oyster shell on the side for anyone who needs it. The chicks will smaple moms poo (yuck) and pick up their immunities that way.
My broodies do their business with flock. They sit and hatch while life continues on around them. I've never had an issue with other flock members killing babies, but my birds are pretty mellow. I soukd suspect that if she's sitting in a nest box or just in the coop, no one is bothering or going to bother her. If they do, or you just can't stand the thought of letting them mingle, a dog crate in the coop is a quick fix.
Good luck, enjoy your new fuzzies!

I have a broody. Had to bring her in as others are a bit too much for her. I keep watching but no sign of a babe what was your first indication of hatching if any? I am fascinated my hubby been kicked aside I'm in delivery mode lol

I have a broody. Had to bring her in as others are a bit too much for her. I keep watching but no sign of a babe what was your first indication of hatching if any? I am fascinated my hubby been kicked aside I'm in delivery mode lol
My first sign was I just checked the eggs to see if any started to hatch, the chick will start to make a small hole in the egg.

We have 1 chick so far! It seems very spunky and alive to. I set 2 duck eggs under my hen as well and they wont be due to hatch till next week (dumb me didn't know they took longer) I am worried that she wont get up and tend to the chick, or she will get off the nest and leave the rest of the eggs. I was thinking about taking the chick and getting it started on food and water w/in the next 2 days (since I read they can live w/out food or water for up to 3 days) Then once some of the others hatch graft the chicks back on her?

I will just go and buy a bag of regular chicken feed then, since all my others are on layer feed right now.
I hope none of the other chickens or rooster will bother her, she is the top hen (or was) and nobody has ever bothered her in the nest.

Back
Top Bottom