1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help ------- my first incubator hatch set on dec 8th due dec 29th

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by donnie, Dec 26, 2009.

1. donnie

donnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2009
    Poteau, Oklahoma
    i set my eggs on dec 8th and i have been candeling them and i checked again last night and from what i could see i dont think they r progressing like they should the chicks inside are not as big as the eggs is this normal ? if you have any answers for me please reply .... thanks you can also email at [email protected] , these eggs are from my white leghorn rhode island red hybrid hens and my americana roo , and i was hoping i would get some chicks out of them for the spring.................

2. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

3. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

organicfoltzfamilyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    I also replied to you on my thread about my Dec 30th hatch. There are some links on there also.

4. donnie

Dec 19, 2009
    Poteau, Oklahoma
    yeah you can see healthy veins and some movement in all 8 of them, this was an experiment due to the cold and i wasnt for sure if they would still hatch but i am hopefull , so i am still waiting .... and i am excited and then next hatch will be even better it is due jan 10 with 36 eggs, of americana, buff orpington, andalusian roos, with americana , buff orpington, light brahma and dominique hens, egg colors are white , light and dark brown , three shades of green and then pink i didnt get any blue ones, darn lol but it is ok i am still excited

5. donnie

Dec 19, 2009
    Poteau, Oklahoma
    i made my candeler out of a lamp with a light buld then took a styrofoam cup and wrapped it with feed sack and then tape to keep light in and the made the hole in the bottom , it seems to work ok but it was a just for now deal til i go and buy a light made for candeling, wondering where i can find one , i heard of a led light that is at tsc , so im hopeing i can find it their

6. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

I just use a Mini Mag Flashlight. They are LED you can find them at your hardware store. I duct tape a piece of cardboard over the light and then punch a small hole in the center of the cardboard. With the Mini Mags you can adjust the beam from a wide to more of a direct pin point. Of course with my colored eggs I candle in a pitch black room.

Glad to hear you have movers in the eggs!!!

7. donnie

Dec 19, 2009
    Poteau, Oklahoma
    thanks , hmmm i have a little led light i have started using but im still not satisfied with how much i can see but i am also candeling mostly brown eggs so it is a little harder than with the white eggs and o lord the green eggs are a pain lol but the pink eggs are not so bad , but i will find one that works well for me and i am so excited still yet , today was day 19 and im impatiently awaiting the new arrivials lol but im running behind i have to go and pick up a new brooder tomorrow and another light and i want to get them some new feeders and waterers too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by