1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help my friends chickens are nude!! WARNING, pics of the nakeds!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AlicesSilkies, Sep 25, 2012.

1. AlicesSilkies

AlicesSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

My friends chickens free-range in the end of her back garden and they are all really happy!!....HOWEVER...they are very naked, almost ovenready [​IMG]
    We still get 5 eggs a day, but they are unsightly and have been nicknamed by our villagers as 'the nakeds' which my friend is extremley embarassed about!
    Is there anything we can do??? Anything!!!????
    Oh and weve tried change of diet and the purple spray and pinless peepers....and...NOTHING!!

Ok, so brace yourself here come the pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    You can see in these photos but all of the front chest are pecked.
    And the three other chickens were laying and i didnt want to disturb.
    Any ideas would be fantastic, oh and these chickens are over a year old (if that helps)
    Massive thanks in advance!!!
    Alice

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

They are molting :) Completely normal.

Some hens still lay during molt. I have a hen that does.

3. AlicesSilkies

They have been like this for months...ever since i have known my friend, so about 5 months!
    Very weird![​IMG]

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Did you check them over carefully for parasites like lice and mites? You may want to dust them just to be on the safe side (and the coop as well).

5. aoxa

Does your friend have a rooster?

6. tshirtdr1

tshirtdr1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    It's mites. My parents' chickens had them once and they ended up culling them all and letting the coop sit over the winter. Might want to consult the extension office if you need advice.

7. aoxa

What? No..

They could have mites, but that would not cause them to be this naked.

8. AlicesSilkies

My friend does dust them and inside the coop but with vermix, any other ones you would suggest?
    And no there is no cockeral..
    I think there are just crazy!!! [​IMG]

9. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    These chickens are experiencing a long, hard molt. They both have a typical molting pattern. It looks like one of them is starting to get some pin feathers coming in. I highly recommend putting a hen apron/saddle on the girls and going through a 50 lb bag of turkey feed, 28% protein. PM me and I have 3 hen aprons I can mail you at no charge. I make them. Are your hens standard sized?

Didn't realize you were on the other side of the world. I have no idea what shipping cost is.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  10. aoxa

Shipping from Canada to the UK is 1.55 for an envelope. Those saddles don't weigh much at all :) I mailed a diaper to Florida for 1.05 :p Oh Nurse Turtle.. My Honey would LOVE an apron [​IMG] She is molting but the boys won't leave her alone, so her feathers aren't growing back in :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by