Help! My game banty mix doesn't want to be confined, and is attacking my other birds!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cleoandclover, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Cleoandclover

Cleoandclover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2012
    Washington state
    I have a Cochin X American game banty mix. She's really high energy, and isn't happy confined. She used to have run of the yard, but our neighbors thought the chickens made the lawn look ugly, so they complained, and we brought the chickens into the house. It was either that, or sell them all. My Seramas and Silkie don't mind, but Cleo does. I let her out to play in the house, but she just paces in front of the front door, and yells at the top of her lungs. I tried putting her in with my Silkie. She just tried to kill the Silkie, and went back to yelling. I put her in with the Seramas, with similar results. Is there anything I can do, short of selling her? This is my first hen, and one of my favorites. I love her. And I recently rehomed 2/3 of my flock just to prevent the neighbors from rioting, and it broke my heart to do it. Please help. I don't want to lose my Cleo.
    [​IMG]
    The unhappy hen in question.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    How long have you had her inside now? If she was used to getting the run of the yard it is going to take awhile for her to accept she is not going to anymore. Can you block off her view of the yard/door she used to go though? Do you keep them in a cage area inside the house where they can scratch & peck etc? Can you find something else to occupy her time, treats in the litter or something to work at?

3. Cleoandclover

Cleoandclover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2012
    Washington state
    I've had her inside for close to a month. She does have litter that allows her to forage, but she doesnt want to use it. I tried to keep her in the back with a baby gate, but it was a cheap one, and she kept on knocking it down. I've hung bread slices on a string, and that works until she finishes it,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by