Help ! My girl is bad again , I think she is about to die!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by craftycarrot, Jul 5, 2011.

1. craftycarrot

craftycarrot New Egg

Jun 8, 2011
    Hi , I posted before about a sick hen with a very swollen bottom/under vent, about the size of a vent ! the anti biotics eventually worked and she seemed to be back on form , in fact , I even thought shed been laying again , but today , she seems to have rapidly gone downhill listless, very swollen red and soft and squidgey again , and when I turned her over to examine her , her eyes started to close, she couldnt keep her head up and she started to twitch her legs a little, i thought she was about to die !! Any thoughts immediately ? I cant go back to vets , shes had 2 lots of ABs and its come back , Im not sure they can do much and it costs a fortune !!! Help! CC

2. craftycarrot

craftycarrot New Egg

Jun 8, 2011
    her vent looks clean and I cant feel and egg ,I even put a gloved finger in (ewwww!!) and altough it seemed to cause her a little discomfort I couldnt feel anything ! Also , everytime this has recurred the vet has said he cant feel an egg and he doesnt think shes egg bound ! What could this be !?!? CC

3. SunBaked

SunBaked Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Southwest
    Poor thing, I hope she will be okay [​IMG] I hope somebody knows what to do.

4. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    can you post a picture? it would help. when you say she is swollen below her vent is she missing feathers there? and the skin looks red? is the swelling coming from her vent, like with a prolaspe vent? I only ask because when I first saw one of my hens with a plucked butt I thought it was a swollen mass, but it was just her fat butt and the skin turns red when it is exposed. I felt all my hens and they also had the large"lump" but you could not see it because they had feathers.

is her belly firm, swollen? more info would help. At least give her some electrolyte solution in her water for strenght and give her some favorite treats to make sure she eats.

5. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Yes, she was about to die. Turning her on her back adds pressure to her already compromised respiratory system (from the bottom swelling). I lost a rooster two months ago doing that because I ignored the signs.

I would try and get ahold of some comparable antibiotics from the farm supply and treat her yourself. What did your vet prescribe? I am thinking maybe a kidney infection? Whatever antibiotic the vet prescribed she seemed to respond well to.

You may have to just put her on antibiotics every once and awhile and hope the problem eventually resolves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by