Help-My girl is going crazy

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Iluvmychickens, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Hell I have 1 Bantam full grown hen,and she is going crazy:lol:

in her pen. Walking around in cirdles, crying, scrathing and jumping from one roost to the other as well as trying to bury herself in the box. Is she ok or do I need to run to the vet. I have only had her and her 7 week old daughter for 1 week 3 days.

Thanks,
    DeeDee

2. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    I think she is fine, she is probably still not very comfortable in her new home. and is probably trying to get out of the coop. She may be used to free ranging, and not stuck in the coop. Give her a couple days and she will be more comfortable.

3. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Could she be looking for a place to lay an egg? I hear they get crazy lookin for a nest when they are ready to lay.

If her daughter is 7 weeks, she is probably ready to lay again, and since she is not around her old nest spot, is going nuts. Especially if she just started doing this the last day or so.

That COULD be it...

4. Iluvmychickens

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Well she is now in the nest all cool. I took a freezer pack out of the freezer & coverered it with straw and she has calmed down considerably. It is 105 (my themometer register) in the shade here in Jacksonville Fllorida today. I tend to think she is way to hot. I called my Aunt in Ocala Florida who seems to think is is trying to lay an egg. I will have to wait and see. Thank you for your help.

DeeDee [​IMG][​IMG]

5. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Egads - that's hot! I'm sitting here in Vermont whining because it is 85 and humid!
    It sounds like you have your girl figured out. Some hens are very particular about where they lay their eggs and don't like to put them anywhere else. I had a hen once who preferred a certain nest box. If it was occupied when she went to lay her egg, she would stand right there screaming until the other hen vacated the premises!
    They are so silly...[​IMG]

6. Iluvmychickens

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Wow....My very 1st Egg. I am so EGGcited ..NOW She has not been with a Rooster in over a week so is the egg fertile? I am so new to this I almost feel stupid asking this question?

DeeDee [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I was gonna say it's the similar to the bathroom line and I gotta go...NOW!!!
    Congrats on the egg.
    It will probably be fertile, but unless she sets on it, it won't become a chick. A hen can hold the sperm for up to 3 weeks.
    There are no stupid questions when it comes to being a new chicken mom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by