Help - my girl is losing feathers EVERYWHERE...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SAHenMom, Nov 24, 2011.

1. SAHenMom

SAHenMom New Egg

Nov 24, 2011
    Hi there, my hen Miss Nunu is 2 yrs old, generally hefty weight 2.5kgs easily, she is a plymouth rock (koekkoek in SA). She's losing her feathers everywhere over the last couple days. Wings,under body,bum,neck u name it. Not usual moulting for her. This seems much worse. She's lethargic, roosts all day and doesn't eat much. Has lost some weight. Her poop is same, no change (black and glupy or white and brown normal). Our other hen isn't showing any signs of same. We feed them chick chick no 1 being crushed mielies,sorgum and other small seeds and whatever else they peck on in the garden. Nunu sleeps on a couch at night and LOVES her sand baths which I'm thinking could be the mite entrance area. Iv tried to look for lice but not sure what exactly I'm looking for (VERY blonde moment lol) Any ideas ladies and gents?

Thank u [​IMG]

2. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Did she get thin when she was in this condition? If so, I would say that she is molting.

3. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    I agree......

4. SAHenMom

SAHenMom New Egg

Nov 24, 2011
    Hi there. Yes she did get thin now with moulting! Goodness me can it be so extreme? She's gonna be entirely naked in no time lol.. Thanx so much for ur help

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Molt. Seems like they are all molting, and heavy too. Mine lose weight , and separate themselves from the flock, and move slower. I try to give them special treats when none of the others are around. Some of them look so pathetic!

6. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I'd say normal moulting. The first year they usually go through a more mild moult, the second year they can become almost naked! I thought there was a massacre in my coop this year with all the feathers everywhere...nope, just regular moulting!! Give her some extra protein, that'll help those feathers grow back in.

7. SAHenMom

SAHenMom New Egg

Nov 24, 2011
    Aww shame this molt is so hectic then! My poor Nunu is very sad...my little Cochin is laying eggs til the cows come home lol whilst Nunu is lost..

I'll try ur suggestion of treats etc..shame I hope its over soon. Goodness me!

Hope urs r ok and enjoy ur treats [​IMG]

8. SAHenMom

SAHenMom New Egg

Nov 24, 2011
    Quote:Oh boy did hubbi and I just have a good chuckle @ the massacre line! That's exactly what my garden and living room looks like!! I thought the dogs had a brawl with her! Oi these poor hens! I'll get that protein rolling in the treats! Thank u.

9. SAHenMom

SAHenMom New Egg

Nov 24, 2011
    The molting and unhappiness continues here...oh bother...poor Nunus lost half her wing feathers so taking off it just as bad as the bumpy landing...

How's everyone elses feathery babes?

10. Peppypap

Peppypap Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    Dallas TX
    My EE has huge bald spots on both her shoulders... She lost her feathers on the back of her neck and crop area... She is normally very sweet, but one night I was feeling around in the coop to make sure they were all in there and I touched her shoulder on accident. She tried to bite me!! And my gold laced polish hen, who is barley a year old, just had her first molt and now has a few big white feathers in her crest... But my other Easter egger had an easy molt... Alot of her feathers were ragged looking before but now she has big fond soft feathers...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by