Help my girl is stuck

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by phaatnsassy, Feb 24, 2014.

1. phaatnsassy

phaatnsassy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2012
    Central Oregon Coast
    Today one of my girls was out in the yard and a neighbors cat came in and chased her. She got a way and now is stuck down an embankment. There a several blackberry briar's there and I am not able to get down to get her. She seems ok, just scared. I am wondering if she will be able to figure out how to get out of there. In this pic you can just barley see her. In the next 2 you can see how far down she is. I have tried to get her to come to me by shaking her favorite treat and calling her. Which usually works when she is just in the yard. It is getting dark now and we have predators raccoons and possums. I won't be getting any sleep tonight. will keep going out to check on her. Does anyone know if she will be able to figure out how to get out of there and get home?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    is there some one you can call that is able to go down there? looks like its gonna be a mission. its not worth broken bones though. i kinda doubt if predators can reach her in that mess. if im seeing the pics. right.

3. phaatnsassy

phaatnsassy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2012
    Central Oregon Coast
    Not really. That is why I was asking if chickens have smarts enough to figure out how to get out of this predicament.

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    how long was she down there before dark?

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I would try putting on some thick pants maybe two pair and some thick gloves and a couple of thick long sleeve shirts and try and get her. The extra clothed should help protect you. Hope this helps. Good luck and. Keep us posted.

6. kvanconant

kvanconant Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2014
    hedge clippers, blue jeans and sweat pants and two pairs of gloves should be able to go through thornes no problem.
    I have a $50 cover all suit I hunt in and I can walk through any thornes no problem.

7. foxmfan1

foxmfan1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2013
    hello, you need to invest in a good Machete. I hope your lady gets back fine, but I am pretty sure she will have some stress for a bit. but yeah, you need to have a back up suit : )

I really hope you get your little lady back !!

8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    to answer your question about smarts, i have/had a food dish that was tipped over for a couple days, i didnt pay much attention to it as i didnt need it at the time. when i did , i flipped it over and a bantam hen had been under it for a while. not making a sound. looked like a couple days. she could of easily got out.

9. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    A weed eater will work wonders with briars if they are succulent. Clod hopper shoes, and thick pants will protect you enough that you can trod down the blackberry canes enough to get to your chick. Be sure however to have some cat medicine with you incase the chick runs and attracts the cat's attention.

10. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Can you up date us on what happened? Did you get her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by