Help!! My girl won't leave the hen house..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Miss Scarlet, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Miss Scarlet

Miss Scarlet Out Of The Brooder

I have a beautiful hen, who has taken to the hen house and avoids the rooster. I have carried her out to free range with the others and she takes off running to the hen house. I've tried closing the door to the pen. She acts like a crazy bird, trying to get back inside. She does not appear to be sick. She has acted broody but won't sit on any eggs. She paces to and fro, during the day, and is a bully to the other hens coming to lay their eggs. I put her in a cage one day. She knocked her water over and by the time I found her, she was lethargic. I dunked her into some cool water quickly and she came back ok. Since then, I just let her do whatever she feels like doing, but would like to know, why she is doing this. She was one of my best hens..

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Check her and see if she has been injured by the rooster. The most common site for rooster injury is beneath and posterior to the wings and anterior to the thighs.

3. Miss Scarlet

Miss Scarlet Out Of The Brooder

I
    Check her and see if she has been injured by the rooster.  The most common site for rooster injury is beneath and posterior to the wings and anterior to the thighs.
    I will check her first thing tomorrow. I had a mean rooster that had injured her a couple weeks ago. He had pulled her feathers out on her neck so that she now looks like she has an ugly scar. He is long gone. The other rooster is not mean but if he sees her out, he runs to her and she gets in the submissive position and then makes a B line to the hen house. He does not bother her as long as she stays in there. But she seriously rules the roost. This evening, the rooster and about five other girls were staying outside due to get flogging them as they tried to go through the door. She keeps her beak open, like she is hot, all the time too. Not sure why.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by