help my goat loves dog food!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by nightshade, Apr 10, 2009.

1. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

okay so we have a young male goat, I think he is a pygmy bore cross but he may be a full pygmy by the looks of him growing. We have had him a little under two months. He lives in the house with our dogs and sleeps in a crate in the living room at night. When we first got him it was so cold out yet I was afraid to put him out for fear that something would happen to him, that was how he started out in the house. But now he is house broken and frankly is better behaved then our dogs most times. He sleeps on the end of the bed when we watch TV and is just a great pet. Basically if he does not get any bigger, which he seems to have stopped growing it is probably gonna be a permanent living arrangement.

Sounds great right but here is the problem, we have two auto feeders for our weiner dogs that hold 3lbs of food each. This works great and usually is no problem at all. I got one of these feeders and put goat feed in it for Skeeter, the goat too. Worked great the first few weeks but now he has decided that he likes the dog food better then anything else, even lettuce we try to give him. Could I try to limit how much he gets but it can be very hard to without making sure there just is no feed out when he is lose in the house, which is when ever we are home and not sleeping. So pretty much most of the time. The feed is Kibbles and Bits home style beef. At first he seemed to only be eating the green pieces (the veggie parts I think) but now he eats it all. Could the dog food hurt him? I am really worried but I can't seem to find anyone that seems to know of I should be or not.

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    It won't hurt him but it is awfully expensive goat feed. Make sure he has an entoro shot so he won't die of entertoxemia.

3. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

thanks

4. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Yes dog food will hurt him as its full of corn and thats not good for wethers or male goat and the dog food has meat by products in it and he dont need that. You need to put the dog food where he cant get into it as its going to cause problems later on.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Corn isn't so hot for the dogs either.

6. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I don't know why anyone would say corn isn't good for wethers or any goat for that matter. It is high in energy. Corn and barley are the two grains highest in energy. Any mixed feeds you buy for livestock of any variety generally have corn in them. Had a goat dairy for over 30 years. Fed a lot of corn. The grain we fed to fatten out our wethers was called COB. Stood for Corn, Oats, & Barley. Never had any urinary problems. Overfeeding corn can make them too fat. Or if they gorge on it it can make them sick.

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i gave my goats the corn stalks from last years garden...they loved them... [​IMG]

8. username taken

username taken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    SEPARATE THE DOG FOOD AND THE GOAT NOW!

Yes, it will harm him, yes it will kill him. It will take months or even years but it will.

I learned the hard way - I had a pet wether living up with the dog and he LOVED dog food (the dry type, not the canned stuff).

Eight or nine months down the track it almost killed him, his liver and kidneys were pretty much stuffed. Very expensive vet bill and the vet didnt give him much chance, but defying all odds he pulled through. He's on meds for the rest of his life, all because I was silly enough to let him eat the dog food.

PLEASE dont let him eat it!

Btw its not the corn that makes the goat crook, its the MEAT!

9. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    how do you house train a goat

10. username taken

username taken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Quote:same as you house train anything

they dont all take to it though, and not many will be 100% house trained, they come close though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by