HELP-my goldens are sick!!!

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by njeggvt, Sep 6, 2009.

1. njeggvt

njeggvt Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Hi all,

I have 2 goldens (3 1/2 mos) in a pen with 2 silkies (same age & healthy), they get along great. But today I noticed on the one golden, around his right eye was reddish and a little swollen. On the other, his left eye was closed, and around the eye reddished. I have 20 chickens (all healthy) in the pen next to them separated by the chicken wire.

My questions, are they sick because of the chicken, if so what can I do for them and should I continue to keep them with the silkies?

Thanks for any advice

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  2. bird

bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Oregon
    Maybe the chicken are pecking your pheasants?[​IMG]

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    The Chickens Have Given Coryza To Your Pheasants--- This Is A Very Common Side Effect From Mixing Gamebirds With Chickens--- Chickens Are Well Known For Carrying The Disease And Not Sucumbing To It. All The While Your Gamebirds Do Not Have The Immunity To Fight The Disease Off. They Need Antibiotics And Quick Too. Lincomycin Or Penicillin(neither Will Be Easy To Find At A Local Feed Store, As They Usually Carry The Standard Erythromycin Antibiotics) Cutlers Supply Carries Both Type Listed Above And Can Overnight Express Ship, But With It Being Laborday Weekend It Wont Happen Until Tuesday Morning..... If You Are Unable To Obtain Eithe Rof The 2 Preferred I Believe Emycin Would Be Better Than Nothing At All--- And Seperate Them From Your Chickens

Good Luck (i've Been Where You're Going With This-- It Sucked, Sorry)

4. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Quote:Just a couple newbie questions.

Is there ANY way that they can overcome this without the use of antibiotics?

How long after introducing them to the chickens will symptoms start to appear?

Once they have been treated, will the disease come back when re-introduced?

Do the pheasants automatically become immune to it? carriers of it?

Sorry for all the questions, Im new to pheasants (just got a silver pheasant pair), and really want to know the 'what if's.' lol

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Hold your horses................everyone! [​IMG]

Let's not jump to conclusions just yet. First off, if your chickens are showing no signs of being sick, and your2 pheasants have red eyes, one swollen, perhaps your chickens are pecking at their big eyes. If I put pheasant chicks in with peachicks i get that problem. They love to pick at the pheasants eyes until they are red and irritated.
    Do they have any other symptoms besides the eyes.......................a cough, runny nose, rank smell, wheezing?

6. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:IF IT IS AN INFECTIOUS DISEASE SUCH AS CORYZA --- NO IT WILL KILL THEM IN ALL LIKELYHOOD WITHOUT TREATMENT

IT CAN HAPPEN AT ANY TIME THEY ARE HOUSED TOGATHER. JUST AS IN CHICKENS IT CAN HAPPEN AT ANY TIME, BUT IS USUALLY OCCURING WHEN YOUNGER BIRDS OF MIXED AGES ARE HOUSED TOGATHER IN A CHICKEN FLOCK

ONCE TREATED WILL IT COME BACK? TO BE HONEST I DONT KNOW. THIS IS 1 OF THE PRIMARY REASONS GAMEBIRDS SHOULDNT BE KEPT IN COMMUNITY HOUSING( AND YES I KNOW I'M GONNA TAKE HEAT ON THAT LAST STATEMENT)

DO THEY OR CAN THEY BUILD AN IMMUNITY TO IT? AGAIN I DONT KNOW THE ANSWER TO THIS WITH 100% CERTAINTY, BUT USUALLY IT INFECTS YOUNGER BIRDS-- 2YRS OLD OR LESS, SO IT MAY BE THAT THEY DO OUT GROW IT OR BUILD AN IMMUNITY TO IT WITH AGE AND EXPOSURE.

ALLOW ME TO SAY A COUPLE OF THINGS HERE--- 1. RUNNY NOSE/ SNEEZING IS A VERY LATE SIGN IN GAMEBIRDS

2. JUST BECAUSE THE CHICKENS DO NOT SHOW SIGNS OF ILLNESS DOESNT MEAN THAT THEY ARE NOT THE CARRIER. MOST TIMES IN THESE CASES-- GAMEBIRDS COMING DOWN WITH THIS ILLNESS THE CHICKEN IS A "TYPHOID MARY" AND NEVER EXHIBITS ANY SIGNS OF ILLNESS--- BEFORE OR AFTER INFECTING THE GAMEBIRDS.

7. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Quote:IF IT IS AN INFECTIOUS DISEASE SUCH AS CORYZA --- NO IT WILL KILL THEM IN ALL LIKELYHOOD WITHOUT TREATMENT

IT CAN HAPPEN AT ANY TIME THEY ARE HOUSED TOGATHER. JUST AS IN CHICKENS IT CAN HAPPEN AT ANY TIME, BUT IS USUALLY OCCURING WHEN YOUNGER BIRDS OF MIXED AGES ARE HOUSED TOGATHER IN A CHICKEN FLOCK

ONCE TREATED WILL IT COME BACK? TO BE HONEST I DONT KNOW. THIS IS 1 OF THE PRIMARY REASONS GAMEBIRDS SHOULDNT BE KEPT IN COMMUNITY HOUSING( AND YES I KNOW I'M GONNA TAKE HEAT ON THAT LAST STATEMENT)

DO THEY OR CAN THEY BUILD AN IMMUNITY TO IT? AGAIN I DONT KNOW THE ANSWER TO THIS WITH 100% CERTAINTY, BUT USUALLY IT INFECTS YOUNGER BIRDS-- 2YRS OLD OR LESS, SO IT MAY BE THAT THEY DO OUT GROW IT OR BUILD AN IMMUNITY TO IT WITH AGE AND EXPOSURE.

ALLOW ME TO SAY A COUPLE OF THINGS HERE--- 1. RUNNY NOSE/ SNEEZING IS A VERY LATE SIGN IN GAMEBIRDS

2. JUST BECAUSE THE CHICKENS DO NOT SHOW SIGNS OF ILLNESS DOESNT MEAN THAT THEY ARE NOT THE CARRIER. MOST TIMES IN THESE CASES-- GAMEBIRDS COMING DOWN WITH THIS ILLNESS THE CHICKEN IS A "TYPHOID MARY" AND NEVER EXHIBITS ANY SIGNS OF ILLNESS--- BEFORE OR AFTER INFECTING THE GAMEBIRDS.

Thanks!!

8. kikescove.com

kikescove.com Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Selah Washington
    Both could be right. If you chose not to act quickly and follow JJMR's advice though, you increase the chance of losing your birds expotentially. That is one of the risks of community housing.

9. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Thanx Kikes! That Was The Point...

10. njeggvt

njeggvt Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Thanks for all the advice, I separated them this morning and will get meds tomorrow.

They are not sneezing or coughing but are definitely "not well". There is also a "unpleasant smell" around their head/eyes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by