Help my guinea keet is not looking well!

LivingFate

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 18, 2008
I have some keets that are now about 1 week old. I just checked on them and 1 is very weak looking, fragile feeling, the others run all over him literally but I don't have another heatlamp to seperate him. I guess I could put something in the box to make it into two parts... I pick him up and he is still fighthing a bit being held, but he doesn't want to eat or drink. His eyes keep closing...His legs don't have strength to hold him up, and he feels really fragile and weak. Want can I do???

You will definately want to seperate it from the others. Otherwise they will trample it to death. I would get some electrolytes for the water...and try to get it to eat a hard boiled egg yolk. Maybe some polyvisol ( childrens vitamins without iron) Just a drop along the beak....3 or 4 times a day. Definately try to keep it warm. Good luck with it....hope it makes it.

I've had it with me on my lap wraped up in a baby wool blanket. I've been trying to get it to drink some water, Its taken a little bit in. I've tried putting some yogurt on its beak but it won't eat. I will do as suggested. Thank you

You can put the baby in a separate box next to the heat lamp. Put out food and water. Be sure you are using a game bird starter. This is necessary for the guiniea fowl as they require at least a 22 percent protien starter. They will flurish after they are 7 to 8 weeks old on scratch and free range, but they are very fragile if not given the proper feed in early life. You can put vitamines and minerals in the waterer. I really do not know if guinea fowl like yogurt, I have never tried it and the ones I have in the barn never go for the yogurt when I put it down for the chcickens. This could be becuase the chickens look like they are having a feeding frenzy over the yogurt. As some here would say, run away when you pu down a bowl of yogurt for your flock.

Back
Top Bottom