Help! My hen’s neck is twisted around and her eyes are closed

CeceliaD

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
Maine
I have a hen who I believe is about two years old that was acting “drunk” recently and has slowly deteriorated the past few days. When we got her she had a hop in her step which seemed to get worse over time. Then for a while she was just wobbly, but that got worse and worse over time and then the last few days she’s just gone downhill super fast. Her neck is twisted all the way around and she can’t stand anymore. Her eyes are nearly sealed shut too and now I’m noticing some blood under her beak. What is this?? I think she may be too far gone to help at this point and I don’t know what to do. How can I make her more comfortable?

I have a hen who I believe is about two years old that was acting “drunk” recently and has slowly deteriorated the past few days. When we got her she had a hop in her step which seemed to get worse over time. Then for a while she was just wobbly, but that got worse and worse over time and then the last few days she’s just gone downhill super fast. Her neck is twisted all the way around and she can’t stand anymore. Her eyes are nearly sealed shut too and now I’m noticing some blood under her beak. What is this?? I think she may be too far gone to help at this point and I don’t know what to do. How can I make her more comfortable?
How is she doing now? Could you get a picture of her?
It sounds like wry neck or something neurological.

How is she doing now? Could you get a picture of her?
It sounds like wry neck or something neurological.
She’s doing bad. She’s just laying there with her eyes shut and her head tucked into her side. I think it’s neurological too.

Attachments

• F3D51A0D-E702-43BA-8B52-E6A66DF8D4E7.jpeg
    F3D51A0D-E702-43BA-8B52-E6A66DF8D4E7.jpeg
    773.9 KB · Views: 18
  • C70CCDC9-6748-4D02-B1C4-EBC975E4BA90.jpeg
    C70CCDC9-6748-4D02-B1C4-EBC975E4BA90.jpeg
    773.9 KB · Views: 19
from the information you have given, I think the best thing to do is just put her on your lap and pet her and tell her she's a good hen until she passes, which will be pretty soon probably.
I think you’re right. She has never liked being held so I think I’m just going to let her be. She seems relatively comfortable I think. I hope.

Back
Top Bottom