Help my hen can't keep her head up, Update Hen Better !!

sis

Songster
11 Years
Jul 16, 2008
PA
I found my hen like this this morning, she came to me and layed at my feet. I have her in the house now. she is just limp.
her neck is arched. so she just hangs it.
please offer suggestions.
13215_sick_chick_004.jpg

We had her in the house in a big box. we fed her and put her bill in water to drink,
last night I let her walk around in kitchen, she went a few steps, holding her head up now.
this morning, was flapping her wings, head up, walking ok, just a little slow, put her outside and she went right over to the corn and ate some. checked on her later, watched her hop up to roost.
I did notice she was acting a little shy with the other larger hens, but otherwise ok.
will watch her tomorrow again.
everyone else is fine.
I think she got dyhrated. maybe?
thank you everyone.

Last edited:
That's so scary to see her like that. Keep her inside for some time and make sure she has access to or gets water. A little extra protein may help her too.

My hen did drink a little when I put her beak in a cup of water.
she pecked once at some food. she is just standing with her head hanging down. Is there anything else I can do? she is inside and warm.

She looks like my chicken Pokey. Is she still like that?
How long has she not eaten? She egg bound? I am sending ((((((huggs))))))) to you and your chicken!

She looks/sounds to be quite ill...
sad.png

Can you give us any more information? It's hard to come up with suggestions, limp with arched neck is just to "general" to go on...

What have you tried so far?
Eating/drinking yet?
Normal poop?
Age of bird?
Is a Vet an option for you?

fl.gif
for your chicken...

Last edited:
Her crop feels empty, she is not eggbound. She is about 4 months old.
she feels very thin. A few long feathers fell out today.
Tonight I got her to drink a few drops and eat a couple pecks worth.
she has to lean her head on my arm, while I was holding her as she cannot pick it up. she pecked at her food twice, then just slowly lowered her head into the dish and left it there.
I had her wrapped in a towel and we sat and watched a movie.
she just layed there. now she is back in her big box. with food and water.
I hope she rests overnight.
I have not seen any poop this evening anyhow.

hugs.gif
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear all that, she sounds pretty critically ill, I don't have any guesses as to what specifically it could be, altho if she feels thin, she may have been a bit under the weather for a while, animals can be really good at hiding major symptoms until they are very, very sick.

I think it it imperative that she gets enough to drink, plus a "boost" to help her out; can you give her some diluted pedialyte (or vitamins, like someone suggested) or something? Also some extra heat would probably be good for her... These are the only suggestions I can think of... Heat, hydrate, and vitamin/pedialyte "boost"; just basic supportive care to help her try and recover/regain some strength.

She DEFINITELY sounds sick enough for a Vet (!) if that is an option for you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom