HELP my hen has gone broody in the worst spot ever

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chookhead, Feb 5, 2012.

1. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    she has gone broody for the first time under a passion fruit vine that had fallen over
    when it rains that is one of the first places that flood so i need to move her
    this si her first time and iw ant her to be settled on her new nest and how shud i move her
    can i plz get a step by step process because i have never had to move a broody

2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Um, pick her up and move her to the desired nest.

More detail? Hold her wings down gently as ya pick her up. Hold her close to your body and be firm while being careful not to smother her. Gently set her where ya want her.

Good luck!

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    First, you need to prepare her new place. It needs to be a place where you can lock her in there and not give her an option to go back to her old nest. Inside, you need a nest, a way to provide feed and water, and give her enough room to go poop. You will probably need to clean the poop up occasionally, so you need access. It does not need to be huge. It does need to be predator-proof. I've got a place built in my coop where I can do this.

I find it helps them to settle in if the nest is kind of dark. They like the nest to be hidden from predators and a nest in bright light does not normally fit that description. I make my nest so I can lock a hen in the nest if I want to.

I don't know if she is already on eggs you want her to hatch or not. If she has started on eggs, you'll need to move them with her and hope she accepts the new nest. If she is not already on eggs you want her to hatch, I suggest fake eggs or eggs that can be sacrificed if she does not accept the move. Don't use valuable eggs until you are sure she has accepted the move.

When you move her, do it at night when it is dark. Use as little light and commotion as possible. Lock her in the new nest with the fake eggs or real eggs. Leave her locked in the nest overnight and until late the next day. You can even wait until the following morning to let her out. You are not being cruel to do this. A broody normally sits on the nest a long time for a stretch without coming off.

I don't guarantee this will work. You should know if it did work or not in a day or two.

Good luck!!!

1 person likes this.
  4. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    thanx for the replies but it was a false alarm she ate too much water melon and felt sick so she went and sat on the nest for a while
    but the weird thing is she growled at me so maybe she is practicing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by