help my hen is having trouble breathing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rtbarber45, May 21, 2010.

1. rtbarber45

rtbarber45 Hatching

Jan 18, 2010
    my chickens mouth is open and she is not breathing good, i turned her upside down and patted her back and some clear thick fluid came out. what can i do

2. ChIck3n

ChIck3n Chirping

Apr 12, 2010
    Texas A&M
    Ok, don't panic. Sometimes even healthy chickens will spit out some clear fluid when held upside down. Is there any nasal discharge, off odors, inability to stand, problems with eyes, head held a strange way, or anything else abnormal you notice about her? Are you sure she is just not panting because of the heat?

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  3. rtbarber45

rtbarber45 Hatching

Jan 18, 2010
    well she real calm lets me just pick her up thats not norm for her. it just started today she extends her neck like shes choking almost sonds like an object stuck in her lungs hard to breath she ate some bread wont drink.thanks for your help

4. ChIck3n

ChIck3n Chirping

Apr 12, 2010
    Texas A&M
    Well, if there are no other symptoms besides coughing, I see no reason to believe she has a disease. It could be some sort of respiratory infection, but then again she could just have something stuck in her throat, which she will eventually get out. Watch her, and see if she is still doing it tomorrow.

If you can, look down her throat and see if you see anything on the back of her throat. I had birds with wet fowl pox once, and they coughed a lot. But usually fowl pox smells awful as well.

5. rtbarber45

rtbarber45 Hatching

Jan 18, 2010
    thanks ill watch her she is in the house where its warm on a blanket. she seems real tired .she is a barred rock and full of personality so i hope i dont lose her i will post tomorrow if it doesnt get better.thanks again:)

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Has she been wormed? I wonder if it could be gape worm.

7. rtbarber45

rtbarber45 Hatching

Jan 18, 2010
    im not sure about that.what are the symptoms. she is on the roost tonight with the other girls and seems to be better.still making noise breathing if its resperatory infection what knd of antibiotics do i use

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by