Help my hen just laid a broken shell.

Coffgirl

Chirping
Apr 5, 2018
Thailand
it has no pattern at all and it's only half of this I can't find another half.
image.jpg

This is my hen the right one and the roo at the left.
and normal egg is in the middle.

She's a Japanese quail ages 5 weeks and 1 day old.
the broken one is her forth egg.
she has laid 3 eggs in total for 3 days.
30743819_1883508741699909_5053474344215962378_n.jpg

Last edited:
She still behaves like she's trying to lay an egg.
but this time is different, She lied down with heavy breathing but nothing came out after I left her be for a while.
she's back to walk now so I just picked her up and gently rubbed belly near her butt.
the one side is soft but another side I can feel some thing like a shell and the sharpness in there...I feel like another half of that cracked egg is still inside her.

what should I do?

Last edited:
I do not know a thing about quail.
Do quail lay lash eggs?
@007Sean
Yes, they can. The half that's missing should pass if it was soft....are you sure you felt egg shell or pelvic bones?
Although not common in quail, it could possibly be EDS or Egg Drop Syndrome, which is characterized by soft-shelled and shell-less eggs. This condition is more prevalent in waterfowl and heavy broiler breeders as well as brown egg layers. It's thought to be caused by a viral infection to the shell gland and could be attributed to contaminated drinking water.
There is no known treatment.

I just rubbed her a second time now I felt no shell, I really hope it's really passing out.

about over breed I only have these 2 quails and they're male and female.
and the male keep mating her all day but no chasing just climbing up then done.
but I'm not sure if it's a bit too much and should I separate them..

the male keep mating her all day but no chasing just climbing up then done.
but I'm not sure if it's a bit too much and should I separate them..

Does she have a bald spot from where he is grabbing on to her head feathers? If not, and if she seems ok with it, then no need to separate. But if she seems distressed or she is bald from the mating then maybe give her a break.

Did you see her lay the egg? I have had an egg get broken with my quail and they ate it the same as a chicken. They left most of the Shell. It looked the same as your picture. It is a very rare event with mine for this to happen but sometimes it does.

Does she have a bald spot from where he is grabbing on to her head feathers? If not, and if she seems ok with it, then no need to separate. But if she seems distressed or she is bald from the mating then maybe give her a break.
She's not that bald but she does lose some feather on her head.
and separate them cause them to keep calling to each other so I'm thinking about making a wall inside their cage that they can see to each other then take it out when her feather grows back.

Did you see her lay the egg? I have had an egg get broken with my quail and they ate it the same as a chicken. They left most of the Shell. It looked the same as your picture. It is a very rare event with mine for this to happen but sometimes it does.
Yes she always lays the egg at the same time of the day and she's fine with me sitting next to her, she usually just popped the egg out with out problem but yesterday she looked painful so I left her be by herself. She's completely fine today so maybe it's just like you said, but I'll give her more calcium just in case.
So is it safe to give her that egg shell to eat?

Hello
Did I read it right that she laid 3 eggs in a day or for 3 days she has laid an egg? None of mine have laid yet and they are the same age and breed so rather interested
for 3 days she has laid an egg so 1 egg per day, sorry about my English. I was quite stressed too.
I was surprised about that too because I read it from many place that they will lay an egg when they're 6-8 weeks but mine she laid her first egg when she was 4 weeks and 5 days.

Thanks you for every answer!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom