HELP! MY HEN JUST STARTED SNEEZING!!!

chickenman101

Songster
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
North Carolina
HEY IM NEW AT THIS CHICKEN THING AND I NEED SOME ADVICE! I NOTICED MY HEN WAS SNEEZING LAST NIGHT AND SEEMED TO BE A LITTLE MORE AGRESSIVE THAN USUAL TO HER SISTER. SHE DOES HAVE A LITTLE CLEAR FLUID COMING OUT OF HER NOSTRILS. AND SHE SNEEZES EVERY 5 TO 10 MINUTES. HER EYES LOOK FINE AND I DONT HEAR ANY WEEZING. SHES EATING GOOD AND DRINKING GOOD. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT I SHOULD DO, AND IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN PUT IN ALL THERE WATER TO KEEP THIS FROM SPREADING AND TO PREVENT IT? ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!

The biggest thing that you can do right now is to separate her from the rest of the flock, A.S.A.P. I would also add some organic apple cider vinegar to her water at the ratio of 1 TBSP ACV to 1 gallon of water. It wouldn't hurt to add some to the rest of the flocks water either.

Closely monitor your hen for anymore symptoms and check back in.

thanks ill give it a try!!
smile.png

Check the ammonia levels in your coop first. This time of year, it builds up fast since coops are closed up more. Get down at their level, stir the shavings a little and sniff. High ammonia levels cause nasal drips and watery eyes and sneezing. If there is no snotty discharge, then it could be environmental.

BTW, please dont type in all caps. It means you're yelling.
smile.png

I sure didn't even give the ammonia levels any thought. Thanks for weighing in with that advice, Cyn! You're a wise woman!
wink.png

BTW chickenman101 -
welcome-byc.gif

i cleaned out the chicken house but still seperated the hen from the rest of the flock. she wasnt sneezing last night but this morning she sneezed 2 times. how long should i leave here quarantined from the rest. and what other symptoms should i look for? thanks

Back
Top Bottom