HELP! MY HEN JUST STARTED SNEEZING!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenman101, Feb 12, 2009.

1. chickenman101

chickenman101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    North Carolina
    HEY IM NEW AT THIS CHICKEN THING AND I NEED SOME ADVICE! I NOTICED MY HEN WAS SNEEZING LAST NIGHT AND SEEMED TO BE A LITTLE MORE AGRESSIVE THAN USUAL TO HER SISTER. SHE DOES HAVE A LITTLE CLEAR FLUID COMING OUT OF HER NOSTRILS. AND SHE SNEEZES EVERY 5 TO 10 MINUTES. HER EYES LOOK FINE AND I DONT HEAR ANY WEEZING. SHES EATING GOOD AND DRINKING GOOD. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT I SHOULD DO, AND IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN PUT IN ALL THERE WATER TO KEEP THIS FROM SPREADING AND TO PREVENT IT? ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    The biggest thing that you can do right now is to separate her from the rest of the flock, A.S.A.P. I would also add some organic apple cider vinegar to her water at the ratio of 1 TBSP ACV to 1 gallon of water. It wouldn't hurt to add some to the rest of the flocks water either.

Closely monitor your hen for anymore symptoms and check back in.

3. chickenman101

Feb 12, 2009
    North Carolina
    thanks ill give it a try!![​IMG]

4. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    What gumpsgirl said [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Check the ammonia levels in your coop first. This time of year, it builds up fast since coops are closed up more. Get down at their level, stir the shavings a little and sniff. High ammonia levels cause nasal drips and watery eyes and sneezing. If there is no snotty discharge, then it could be environmental.

BTW, please dont type in all caps. It means you're yelling. [​IMG]

6. chickenman101

Feb 12, 2009
    North Carolina
    sorry about that!![​IMG] thanks btw

7. speckledhen

You're welcome. [​IMG]

8. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I sure didn't even give the ammonia levels any thought. Thanks for weighing in with that advice, Cyn! You're a wise woman! [​IMG]

BTW chickenman101 - [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

Yeah, I try to remember to tell people to check ammonia if it's just sneezing. It can sneak up on you, especially in winter.

10. chickenman101

Feb 12, 2009
    North Carolina
    i cleaned out the chicken house but still seperated the hen from the rest of the flock. she wasnt sneezing last night but this morning she sneezed 2 times. how long should i leave here quarantined from the rest. and what other symptoms should i look for? thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by