help my hen laid half an egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chookhead, Oct 30, 2011.

1. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    hey my hen laid half an egg it like broke inside of her and she like pooped half of it and i think there was white dripping from her vent and also the egg had no shell so wat do i do

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, if you suspect shell or membranes stuck inside... A warm bath for her... and a gloved finger for you to get it out. She might be able to expel what is left of a "rubber egg" and there might not actually be a complete egg inside, thus it breaking when she was pushing to get it out.

3. chookhead

Sep 7, 2011
    but she didnt push to get it out it cam out while she was eating she thought she was doing a poop i saw her do it

4. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Quote:Was there any shell at all? It may have just been a shell-less egg and there is nothing to worry about. If there are parts of a broken shell that is different.

5. silkiechicken

If she just "pooped it out" it could very well be as Manningjw says and there is nothing to worry about. Sometimes shellless eggs happen, or some tissue/debris gets into the egg tract and albumen forms around it and it gets ejected too early.

Broken shell inside is where problems arise. Just keep an eye on her for now.

6. chookhead

Sep 7, 2011
    i am very sure it was part of a broken egg but not to worrys he laid normally today she is compeltly fine lol but i have other egg issues like wat is this my old hen laid it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Josiah Woodfield

Josiah Woodfield Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Chestertown, MD
    No worries, its a soft shell egg, she should be fine if she laid normal today. Check her diet and make sure she's getting the right levels of calcium, etc in her diet to prevent from happening again.

8. silkiechicken

That old hen might have become an internal layer and have expelled a bit of it in that lump you see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by