Help My Hen Looks Sick!!

anniep

Songster
9 Years
Jan 24, 2011
Idaho
My Barred Plymouth Rock Spurz feels terrible!! She is almost 4 years old and I went to pick her up of the ground and her keel bone felt extremely sharp. She has lost weight very fast, because we went to a show in October and she was fine! Is it possible that she caught something there? Please, any advise is awesome! She was my first chicken ever and I don't want to loose her.

Her vent also has some fecal build up and is getting pale.

Hi I'm so very sorry about your chicken. It is quite possible unfortunately that she did in fact pick up a illness from the show sadly. Can you give us more clues to her symptoms? Is her crop emptying as it should? Look listen and feel for clues. How is her breathing? Does her tail bob when she breathes? Can you hear any wheezing or noise when she breathes? Any sneezing or coughing at all? Is any mucus present in her nose? How are her eyes? Any swelling or bubbles in them? Is they're a smell about her? Is she eating. Is there any blood or unusual stool? What color is her stool? Was she still laying? How long ago has she laid? Can you feel any mass or swelling on her body.i know this is a lot of questions but each question can be a clue to a specific illness. So please look and listen and feel for any other clues that might help us in finding out what is wrong. We would need more clues to be able to help. Has she had access to different dirt or yard recently? Hopefully with more clues we can help. I wish you the best.

Hi I'm so very sorry about your chicken. It is quite possible unfortunately that she did in fact pick up a illness from the show sadly. Can you give us more clues to her symptoms? Is her crop emptying as it should? Look listen and feel for clues. How is her breathing? Does her tail bob when she breathes? Can you hear any wheezing or noise when she breathes? Any sneezing or coughing at all? Is any mucus present in her nose? How are her eyes? Any swelling or bubbles in them? Is they're a smell about her? Is she eating. Is there any blood or unusual stool? What color is her stool? Was she still laying? How long ago has she laid? Can you feel any mass or swelling on her body.i know this is a lot of questions but each question can be a clue to a specific illness. So please look and listen and feel for any other clues that might help us in finding out what is wrong. We would need more clues to be able to help. Has she had access to different dirt or yard recently? Hopefully with more clues we can help. I wish you the best.
Hello, thank you for answering. Yes, she has had access to different dirt I moved her to one of my other coops before the show last month. I have seen her eating, but this morning I went out to hold her and her crop was completely empty but I had already fed them for that morning. I also introduced a different rooster but he just came from one of my other coops. And she had seen him and dwelt with him before. She has no wheezing or runny nostrils and her crop is emptying. And by the way what is a stool? Her eyes are bright and they are lively but she was squatting like she was egg bound but there is no egg in between her pubic bones. She has stopped laying since about a year ago but she laid about maybe three or four eggs in the last year. The rooster that I put in the coop is different and he established a pecking order and her comb got moderately bloody but it is healing. I just sold two members of the flock and there were only four birds in the flock so maybe she got depressed? Then I put the rooster in. My other hen doesn't seem to mind, but she only lived with the rooster for one year.

Okay will do. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
I've read they should go to bed with a full crop, especially in cold weather, and it should be empty in the morning...then you know they are getting nourishment and the crop is functioning properly.

That might actually pertain more to ensuring that the crop is functioning.

Back
Top Bottom