Help! My hen might be dying.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickonInc, Mar 13, 2015.

1. ChickonInc

ChickonInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2014
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    heres her about 2 weeks ago.

Hi, I have a australorp hen. She is usually full of life. But, after my chick died who was 6 months old she wasnt the same.. I dont know why. She has seen 3 chickens die. But, her best friend died about 4 months ago. They were always side by side. She loves the rooster. But now, she has stopped eating. Still drinks but lays out in the run for hours. her comb is red but it has crust on the top of 2 tips. Her wattle also has curst and her eyes arnt very open. and her face is loosing color.
    heres some pics
    She 3 years old

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickonInc

Nov 29, 2014
    Virginia
    My Coop
    anyone?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Her comb may have a touch of frostbite on the tips. How old are your chickens, and what symptoms did the 3 or 4 other chickens have when they died? There are many different illnesses that chickens can get. Coccidiosis can be common in younger chickens or where people constantly add new chickens from other places. Symptoms of that are lethargy, poor appetite, diarrhea or blood in dropping, standing around puffed up, and then extreme weakness. The treatment is Corid or amprollium in the water for 5 days. There seems to be something contagious going on, and if you lose another chicken, I would definitely send the refrigerated remains to the state vet for a necropsy. Here is a link to contact them: http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  4. ChickonInc

Nov 29, 2014
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Never had a sick chicken before. All hawks and dogs

5. ducky 13

ducky 13 Chillin' With My Peeps

The comb could be from frostbite or being in the cold She may be stressed from her companions death, this may not help, but I believe that animals have feelings so I think she may be sad,stressed, and probably feels lonely without her certain companion

6. ChickonInc

Nov 29, 2014
    Virginia
    My Coop
    How can I make her happy? I give her treats and lots of attention all the time. I think she is ill. I dont know though. I need to know the illness.

7. ducky 13

Her losing color could just be aging, or getting extra Sun

It's hard to say, losing a very close friend can bring huge impact on her, I would try to get her mind off it by possibly introducing her to new Roosters, let her choose the guy she likes and she may become happy again. But the only problem is some people won't let you bring your own birds to check out their birds.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you wormed her lately? I would treat her with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat wormer if you haven't, 1/2 ml orally, and repeat in 10 days. Also check her skin all over and under her vent for lice or mites and their eggs.

9. ChickonInc

Nov 29, 2014
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Turns out she had cancer. Had to put her down.

10. ducky 13

:hit

Oh, I am so sorry

:hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by