Help my hen Red might have Marek's disease!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickensaurus, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Chickensaurus

Chickensaurus Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2014
    Sunshine Coast Australia
    Hi everybody,

I signed up to backyard chickens because my hen Red isn't looking to well. I have had her for 1 year now not sure how old she is as I got her already at laying. I only have two pet hens "Red" and "Raven". Raven isn't showing any signs of being sick. But Red isn't standing up nor is she walking. She hasn't left her pen all day yesterday which is odd.

Today is very hot outside so I have carried her inside in the comfort of the aircon. I have put a shallow dish of fresh water in front of her and soaked bread, even her favourite food pasta. She is drinking a lot of water but ignoring the food. She is sleeping now. Her poo is runny also. But no other signs. Is this Marek's disease?

The vet isn't open today as it's Saturday, I don't get paid until next week either.

Not sure what I can do for her?

Thank you

- Chickensaurus

2. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Bread and pasta don't have the nutrients that she needs. Please try scrambled eggs and see if she will eat that. She needs protein. It's not necessarily Mareks, she may have eaten something that doesn't agree with her, etc......

3. Chickensaurus

Nov 14, 2014
    Sunshine Coast Australia
    Thank you for your reply, I gave her apple baby food, but she only ate a little of it and rested her head again. Your right, it could be anything. Wish I could save her. [​IMG]

4. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    You could tube feed her, just to get the nutrients into her. Search it here, there is quite a bit of help available.

5. Chickensaurus

Nov 14, 2014
    Sunshine Coast Australia
    Thank you for responding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by