help my hen - she's freaking out!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LAchickenMESS, Oct 4, 2012.

1. LAchickenMESS

LAchickenMESS Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2012
    I have 3 hens, two of which have started laying 5 days ago. The third is the biggest and oldest and has just today started the squat. She has been frantically running around the yard and has tried hiding a few places. She keeps coming to our back door and squawks all the while. We locked her in the coop and she has been going up and down into the enclosed area and has been in the laying boxes, but nothing. I'm worried that it may be egg binding or a very large egg (double yolk or something). Anything I can do to help her? She started early this morning and it's 3 PM here. Thanks for any help in advance.[​IMG]

UPDATE:
    Well, I went to the egg binding board and decided to help her out with a rubber glove and oil. The egg was visible but stuck. Is there a repeat problem with most birds or can some hens have problems with their first and be ok after that. The egg was smaller than the other hens who are smaller than her. Should I feed her mineral oils or flax seed or something?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Their first few eggs can be a shock to them. I hope she just needs to settle down and get used to the idea!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  3. 6littlechicks

6littlechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Morgantown, PA
    you can give them some kind of treat and put some olive oil in it. My pullet was freaking out when she start too. Sounded much like yours the day she laid her first egg. Some times they just don't know what to do. She'll catch on after her first few eggs and she'll know that it's going to keep happening pretty much regularly. Good luck!

4. LAchickenMESS

LAchickenMESS Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2012
    She did lay her egg, but I had to help her. I'm hoping she doesn't bind every time. It was a small egg.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by