HELP! My hen tried to crow this morning!!

rpsrachel

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 4, 2012
So this morning, a bird I thought was a hen attempted to "crow." Although it was a pretty pathetic attempt, it was an attempt nonetheless. The photos that I've seen show the female Easter Eggers have combs too. So ladies and gentlemen, what's the verdict?? He/She is an Easter Egger and between 8-9 weeks old and has been great so far. No aggression, very friendly, etc. and gets along great with the confirmed hen, who's an Australorp. If she turns out to be a he, what are your suggestions? My neighbors claim they wouldn't mind, but I'm not sure about one hen and one rooster of different breeds. Plus, I'm devastated that she might be a he after we've had so much fun together!! I really don't want to rehome this bird if I don't have to.

Cotton42

Songster
7 Years
Feb 23, 2012
St. Louis, Missouri
My EE pullets looked nothing like that at 8-9 weeks. 99% sure you've got a roo there. Sorry.
As for the two birds getting along, if they are fine together now, I wouldn't anticipate problems in the future. If you can keep him, go for it! I wish I could keep a roo. I would love to hatch my own eggs.

Last edited:

Hellinahelmet

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 23, 2012
Georgia
Nevermind, my apologies, my stupid iPhone didn't load the photo. I'm saying cockerel based on the comb and wattles

rpsrachel

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 4, 2012
Here's another image, but Cotton42, I think you're right. I'm definitely in denial over this little mix up!

rpsrachel

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 4, 2012
Wow, well this has been quite informative. I kept looking at the photos of Easter Eggers and thinking that doesn't look like my bird!

Top Bottom