HELP! My hen tried to crow this morning!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rpsrachel, Jun 4, 2012.

1. rpsrachel

rpsrachel Hatching

Jun 4, 2012
    So this morning, a bird I thought was a hen attempted to "crow." Although it was a pretty pathetic attempt, it was an attempt nonetheless. The photos that I've seen show the female Easter Eggers have combs too. So ladies and gentlemen, what's the verdict?? He/She is an Easter Egger and between 8-9 weeks old and has been great so far. No aggression, very friendly, etc. and gets along great with the confirmed hen, who's an Australorp. If she turns out to be a he, what are your suggestions? My neighbors claim they wouldn't mind, but I'm not sure about one hen and one rooster of different breeds. Plus, I'm devastated that she might be a he after we've had so much fun together!! I really don't want to rehome this bird if I don't have to.

[​IMG]

2. Hellinahelmet

Hellinahelmet In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2012
    Georgia
    Photo would be nice. Otherwise it's 50/50

3. Cotton42

Cotton42 Songster

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    My EE pullets looked nothing like that at 8-9 weeks. 99% sure you've got a roo there. Sorry. [​IMG] As for the two birds getting along, if they are fine together now, I wouldn't anticipate problems in the future. If you can keep him, go for it! I wish I could keep a roo. I would love to hatch my own eggs.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  4. Hellinahelmet

Hellinahelmet In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2012
    Georgia
    Nevermind, my apologies, my stupid iPhone didn't load the photo. I'm saying cockerel based on the comb and wattles

5. rpsrachel

rpsrachel Hatching

Jun 4, 2012
    Here's another image, but Cotton42, I think you're right. I'm definitely in denial over this little mix up!

[​IMG]

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Cockerel.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Not an EE at all, but a Speckled Sussex. And it is a cockerel.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  8. keesmom

keesmom Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    x2.

9. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    X3.

10. rpsrachel

rpsrachel Hatching

Jun 4, 2012
    Wow, well this has been quite informative. I kept looking at the photos of Easter Eggers and thinking that doesn't look like my bird!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: