Help! My hen was attacked by a skunk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cboriskin, Aug 7, 2014.

1. cboriskin

cboriskin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2011
    Two nights ago we found a skunk in our chicken run. It had gotten into the coop, grab an egg and one of my hens. By the time we got out there and the light scaring the skunk away, the one chicken sustained a major head injury. Since then, we have placed her in a wired dog crate. She walks around, but mostly sits and rests. One eye is harder to open. She has lost part of her comb and the back of her head. I have been spraying Vetericyn (an antibiotic spray gel I use on my horse) on the wound and have been giving her water through a syringe. She is not eating. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get food into her? I was thinking of getting the vitamin drops that you give to chicks and adding it to the syringe when I give her water. Anyone think this is a good idea or have any other ideas? She doesn't appear to be in pain and will walk out of the cage when opened.

2. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    my girls that get separated get wet feed with vitamins added, probiotic or electrolytes which ever is more needed. If they can eat on their own that is all I do. Otherwise they get tube feeding. Kay tee baby bird food or blended up feed to make sure it can pass through the feeding tube.

Keep her warm and injuries cleaned. Neosporin on wounds, clean out any puncture wounds. Have food and water within reach. Watch for any changes. Hope she is better soon.

3. cboriskin

Nov 5, 2011
    How do you tube feed?

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Suggest you pm casportpony...she is the expert here at tube feeding...

5. cboriskin

Nov 5, 2011
    By the time I got back with some vitamin and supplements to add to her water, she refused to drink. 3 hours later, she died.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by