Help! My Hen wont grow!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ShelbyCoral, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Okay, I have allot of silkies and I know how big they would be but! I got a black silkie in the beginning of September. She started to grow and then stopped. She is about as big as a fist and she is getting stepped on by the other chickens. She is in the coop with my other Hens and she seems to hide allot under her silkie sisters and brother.
    I got a silkie hen with 4 chicks in November and they are getting bigger than her. Here is a picture of her, her name is Princess Laya. I call her princess.
    [​IMG]
    she is the black one. the white one is a 2 months old baby. Laya is standing... you cant see her feet because she is so tiny...

2. My question is why isnt she growing? Is it a disease?

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It could be a low level of growth hormone. Also, realize that chicken breeds are so so inbred there's always lots of potential of genetic things. She may end up being a house chicken!

4. House chicken? she would be in a cage all day... everyday. She wouldnt even be able to see grass. Honestly never heard of a house chicken... whats that?

5. But i'd love to have a buddy insides with me <3

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Your chicken could be out while your home, they do make little diapers that have a pouch where you put tissue or something. Some people like it.

7. You all know how big silkies get right? Well, she is only 3-4 weeks younger than the almost full grown ones. She walks under them and they do protect her but its, its just weird! She has all her feathers grown in....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by