HELP! My hens are dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NeedChickenHelp, Jun 25, 2016.

1. NeedChickenHelp

NeedChickenHelp New Egg

Jun 25, 2016
    I have had 2 hens die within the last 6 months. Both had severe diarrhoea, wouldn't eat properly, legs went limp, losing feathers, and were losing their energy. They couldn't stand on their own, and looked like they were in pain.
    Am I not feeding them properly? Is this a virus? Will my other chickens catch it? Can I prevent it or fix it? :/
    Please help!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC.

A little more information would be helpful.

How old were they?
    What type of food/treats do you feed?
    Where did they come from/were they vaccinated for Marek's?

Without a necropsy there is really no way to determine the cause of death.
    If you have another pass with similar symptoms, then you may want to send it off for diagnostic testing.

In the mean time offer fresh clean drinking water (keep your water stations clean), feed a proper nutritionally balanced poultry feed like layer pellets (if your girls are of laying age) or an all flock type feed, offer oyster shell and grit free choice. For treats moderation is usually best, give fresh fruits/vegetables, small amounts of sunflower seed, scratch or mealworms.

Necropsy Information:
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
    http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

3. silkielover88

silkielover88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2014
    Addison NY
    Another question....have you ever treated them for worms? You can take a sample to a vet and they can look at it and tell you if there are any international parasites. A few weeks ago I noticed runny poop, and my hens were acting funny...no eggs ether. We realized they were past due for a worming. We treated them and a little over a week later were back to getting half dozen eggs a day. I would have them checked for parasites.

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

@NeedChickenHelp Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I am sorry for your losses. It is difficult when our animals are suffering and we don't know what to do for them.

Other posters had good questions and suggestions.

I have never wormed, is it always needed? I know an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, but I avoid as many chemicals as possible. I also don't have to treat my dogs for ticks or flees, we haven't had any in years but my vet says I still need to use a preventative.... One of my dogs just can't seem to avoid the mosquitos.

Will I know if I need to worm before my chickens show serious signs of illness?

Good luck!

5. silkielover88

Apr 21, 2014
    Addison NY

Sometimes they do show signs of illness. They are always pecking the ground so they will pick up eggs and larva. We usually go to the free clinic and they test a sample. They can tell you what's in it of anything. That way you know what to give wormer for. We just use the safe guard pellets. That's 1000x for chickens so you can feed the whole bag for a flock of 15-20 chickens.

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    @silkielover88
    So you are feeding the whole bag to your flock are you mixing with the feed and if you so what ratio 1bag safeguard to 1 50lb bag poultry feed?
    How many days withdrawal (egg throw away) period is that?

Is this what you are using?
    http://www.getrotationright.com/productEquiBits.asp
    https://merckusa.naccvp.com/product/basic/view/1047457

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  7. silkielover88

Apr 21, 2014
    Addison NY
    Nope we use the cattle one. I'll try to find a pic....we just put it in a dish and they eat it out of there. 10-14 day waiting period.

8. silkielover88

Apr 21, 2014
    Addison NY
  9. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the best of health and a steady supply of eggs I would recommend worming ALL your chickens on a regular schedule. The more time that they spend free ranging and the longer chickens have been living on the property the more often it should be done. Also rotate the worm medicine so that you don't create a worm medicine resistant SUPER WORM.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  10. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by