Help my hens are dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by boris123, Nov 21, 2013.

1. boris123

boris123 New Egg

Nov 21, 2013
    New to the forum and looking for advice. I have had one hen for over a year and she is happy and laying well, however over the last 6 months I have introduced 6 hens and 1 rooster and to date 3 of the hens and the rooster have all died. They go very lethargic and do not digest their food properly (see corn and grass in their poop) and then 2 days later die, but never at the same time.
    They are kept in a large run and allowed to free range during the day, they are fed on layers pellets and given corn as a treat. I have wondered if it is because they were not vaccinated as chicks as they came from a friend who has raised them as a hobby but all her hens are fine?? I clean the house regularly, they have fresh water, they are wormed and I am at my wits end and feel as if I should labelled as the chicken slayer! [​IMG]

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    The only way to know for certain why they are dieing is send a body to a lab or vet for testing. I'd say your problem is serious and you need to know what your dealing with. Just because your hen didn't get sick does not mean she isn't carrying a illness. Birds can be carriers of a illness and although they them selves are not ill they can infect other birds making the other birds sick not saying that is what's happening in your flock but it could be a possibillity. I would defiently get a bird tested if possible that has passed and
    then you will know exactly what your dealing with. If possible you might condider having your remaining hens blood work done at the vets to see if she IS a carrier of any illnesses in which she could be passing on to your other birds. There is no way to guess what is going on. you will need some lab work to help you out. this way you will know for certain what you are dealing with. And then you can proceed from their. I would get a blood panel on your hen that you think is well and see if she isn't the carrier of a illness that she's passing on. Carriers can appear healthy but infect other birds.. hope this helps you out and wish you The best

3. boris123

boris123 New Egg

Nov 21, 2013
    thank you, I have called the vet and we are going to start with a post mortem and go from there

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by